Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I back up two macs to the same external drive using Time Machine ?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 5:40 PM

Hi,

I believe you can if you partition the drive and use a different partition for each Mac. It would act like two separate drives. Of course you'd have to dismount and disconnect it from one Mac, then connect it to the other Mac each time you'd want to switch backups. Much better to buy a second drive so you have one for each Mac and can just leave them connected and backing up hourly as Time Machine does automatically.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2022 5:40 PM in response to Sanglier

Hi,

I believe you can if you partition the drive and use a different partition for each Mac. It would act like two separate drives. Of course you'd have to dismount and disconnect it from one Mac, then connect it to the other Mac each time you'd want to switch backups. Much better to buy a second drive so you have one for each Mac and can just leave them connected and backing up hourly as Time Machine does automatically.

Mar 27, 2022 2:33 AM in response to Sanglier

Good advise from previous posting.

Just adding - ALL the EGGs are in one basket. Meaning External Drive do get corrupted and or failing time.

In your setup, should this drive fail - the Backups for both computer will be lost..

The begs the question - just how important is the user data to you ?

Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

For addition purposes - two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.