Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

85 W Power Adaptor for MacBook Pro Genuine or Not

The original power adaptor on the right for a 2009 MBP, purchased directly from Apple. It began to fray at the magnetic end. Replaced it with the one on the left, from a non-Apple vendor; it lasted 1 ½ yrs, then it fell apart as shown. The corner plastic cover popped off and will not re-seat itself. I tried taping it together to no avail.

No serial numbers.

Left adapter: Model #1343, assembled in China, 2010

Right adapter: Model #1290, assembled in China, 2009.

Question: Is the Power Adapter on the left, the one with numerous plastic pieces and the crappy design, is it a genuine Apple product? The seller insists it is genuine. They would not replace it because the warranty was for 1 year only.

Deidre Allen’s MacBook Pro 15"

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 11:36 AM

From most indications, including how those parts appear; and fit together snugly

the power-in section referred to as duck-head where the extension power cable

fits (& 'ground-lug' happens to be the Button shape metal, holds it together) also

known as flip head since the prongs retract for storage/travel..

These most likely are genuine. While the MagSafe power adapters for Macs are

not user-serviceable, I've seen the original Apple parts and also bad copies. The

non-Apple power adapters have much less inside the cube; and are poorer built.

[OWC has an online chat, toll-free phones, and email support; often without even

being a customer. While I've bought some items from them online, had to return

some of those. Those with sample defects, required an R.M.A. didn't work at all.]

How or why your experience with 'Other World Computing' varied, I don't know.

Pre-pandemic; back some 15+ years, I've had both 'v. good to v. poor' experience.

Several times in the course of a year, ASC posts may contain 'reference examples

to parts or upgrades' through mac esales OWC; since they are above average.

(I've not seen any OWC employees post as such, in ASC discussions. I've been here

since May 2003 w/ part-time participation. As Volunteer; not representing anyone.)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2022 11:36 AM in response to d2allen

From most indications, including how those parts appear; and fit together snugly

the power-in section referred to as duck-head where the extension power cable

fits (& 'ground-lug' happens to be the Button shape metal, holds it together) also

known as flip head since the prongs retract for storage/travel..

These most likely are genuine. While the MagSafe power adapters for Macs are

not user-serviceable, I've seen the original Apple parts and also bad copies. The

non-Apple power adapters have much less inside the cube; and are poorer built.

[OWC has an online chat, toll-free phones, and email support; often without even

being a customer. While I've bought some items from them online, had to return

some of those. Those with sample defects, required an R.M.A. didn't work at all.]

How or why your experience with 'Other World Computing' varied, I don't know.

Pre-pandemic; back some 15+ years, I've had both 'v. good to v. poor' experience.

Several times in the course of a year, ASC posts may contain 'reference examples

to parts or upgrades' through mac esales OWC; since they are above average.

(I've not seen any OWC employees post as such, in ASC discussions. I've been here

since May 2003 w/ part-time participation. As Volunteer; not representing anyone.)

Feb 9, 2022 3:07 PM in response to d2allen

The only defect seen in these images, is the 'duckhead' portion has fallen apart.

Replace with another; or a Power Apple Extension Cable ~ & its back in business.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK122LL/A/power-adapter-extension-cable

I've several of these, & I've included original Apple Power Adapters with their original

portable Macs later on when given away or traded to private persons. Always get &

use an Apple Extension Cable. The toggle 'duckhead' portion is weaker design.

Feb 10, 2022 12:15 AM in response to d2allen

Well, from my experiences with portable Mac computers; power adapters, cable

adapters, removable duckhead toggle parts, for iBook 12" G3-500/G4-1.33; Power-

Book 12" aluminum G4-1.5; MacBook1.1 13-inch 2006; & MacBook Pro 2012 13-inch.

Both part numbers you've shown identify correctly per date of manufacture

as official genuine Apple power adapters. [Genuine Replacements from Apple

also exist; but most of those use different inventory numbers.]

These I know well enough, and decidedly without question, about these items.

The Adapter, shown to be broken? That Duckhead, can be further removed.

And the main adapter body, should look like the one without

Duckhead or flip-head section. That "Flip-head" is not repairable.

Those may be purchased separately from OWC or other reseller.

These power adapters, original specification officially sold by Apple

have several replacement part numbers; not all show same numbers.

Here's some examples of correct spec replacements from Apple.

In addition to retail sourced above Power Apple Extension Cable

(*) Apple Genuine 85W MagSafe Power Adapter for MacBook Pro (2006-2012) *NEW*

Mfr P/N: MA357LL/A | OWC SKU: APLMA357LLA [Original $79.00 Only $29.75]

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MA357LLA/

(*) Apple Genuine 85W MagSafe Power Adapter for MacBook Pro 13", 15" & 17" Models.

Bulk Flip-Plug include Very Good/New Condition

For all 2006 to 2011, 2012 (Non-Retina) MacBook Pro 13", 15", 17"

Models. Flip Plug Included. Bulk Packaged. 90 Day OWC Warranty.

Mfr P/N: MC556LL/A | OWC SKU: APLMC556LLAB [Was $79.00 - Only $38.75]

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MC556LLAB/

(*) Apple Service Part: 1.8 Meter (72") Apple Genuine AC Power Cable - Good/Fair Condition, 'Grade C Used'

Mfr P/N: APLPWRCBLMSAC | OWC SKU: APLPWRCBLMSAC [Only $3.75]

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/PWRCBLMSAC/

Apple Service Part: Apple Genuine AC Power 'Flip Plug' for Magsafe/Magsafe2

Mfr P/N: 603-2618 | OWC SKU: APLPWRFLIPAC [Only $7.75 New]

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/PWRFLIPAC/

A fair semi-skilled hands-on person could take broken flip/duckhead part, off.

Take-off MagSafe "flip-plug" & Attach a Cable. ~ Those fit tightly; I've several.

(One adapter from iPad, w/ lower 12W output: I use with my iPhone to charge.)

As many official genuine Apple replacement part numbers for these, yours

are fairly easily replaced by genuine official power cable adapters. OWC is

an authorized Apple reseller and has various replacement/upgrade parts.

(Those 'Apple Extension Cables' fit almost/all Apple adapters made.)

Feb 9, 2022 4:44 PM in response to K Shaffer

Hi, Thanks!

First, a big apology for mixing up the photo descriptions. I wish I could edit that post!

Anyway, I do have the part you mention, the "Power Extension Cable". Unfortunately, it does not fit on my newer adapter. It only fits the one on the left in the photo, and that particular adapter has a problem at the mag end where the insulation was breaking off the wires.

My purpose in asking the forum: is to find out if the cheap and poorly designed "Mag Safe Power Adapter", the on the LEFT in the photo is in fact a genuine Apple part and if so I would like to provide Apple with some important feedback. Moreover, I would like to alert other users to pay attention to the power adapters provided by Apple 3rd party vendors.

Feb 10, 2022 10:54 AM in response to K Shaffer

Again, thank you K. Schaeffer for trying to explain how to address this problem.

"Both part numbers you've shown identify correctly per date of manufacture

as official genuine Apple power adapters. [Genuine Replacements from Apple

also exist; but most of those use different inventory numbers.]"

This is difficult to understand, especially the part in parentheses. Can I conclude that both power adapters in my photo are "genuine Apple" parts?

"A fair semi-skilled hands-on person could take broken flip/duckhead part, off.

Take-off MagSafe "flip-plug" & Attach a Cable. ~ Those fit tightly; I've several.

(One adapter from iPad, w/ lower 12W output: I use with my iPhone to charge.)"

Another confusing statement for the average Mac user. What is a flip/duckhead? I looked at the broken power adapter for a while, then realized I could pull that plastic and metal crap off and under it is a pristine power adapter with the small button and 2 round slots to plug into, just like the one on the LEFT! I do happen to have a heavy duty power cable like the one you referenced. Attached it and it now works to charge my MBP. Problem solved! I am grateful*

*I find it ironic that an employee from OWC would have to use the apple.com forum to tell me how to fix this problem. I could not get any practical support from OWC prior to this.

Feb 10, 2022 2:41 PM in response to K Shaffer

Thank you so much for clarifying with a picture. I apologize for assuming you worked for OWC. I am very grateful you persisted in explaining all things Apple Power Adapter.

Also, I learned a lesson not to be so quick to criticize the small vendors when in this case it was Apple who caused the problem in the first place with a poorly designed adapter that broke apart. I hope others will benefit from our discussion. Best wishes to you and thank you for volunteering your time to this forum.

85 W Power Adaptor for MacBook Pro Genuine or Not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.