Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I have my documents and desktop in the cloud can I still back them up to an external drive or do I need to take them out of the cloud first - and then back them up.

If I have my documents and desktop in the cloud can I still back them up to an external drive or do I need to take them out of the cloud first - and then back them up.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 3:05 PM

You documents are not only in iCloud. There are i two locations: your Mac AND iCloud.

Do not think of iCloud Drive as off-site storage. It is a syncing service where any deletion, edit or addition mad on one is made also on the other.

Run your Time Machine backup or copy the files to an external drive, but don't move them from iCloud Drive unless you want to remove them from iCloud.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2022 3:05 PM in response to TinaJayneL

You documents are not only in iCloud. There are i two locations: your Mac AND iCloud.

Do not think of iCloud Drive as off-site storage. It is a syncing service where any deletion, edit or addition mad on one is made also on the other.

Run your Time Machine backup or copy the files to an external drive, but don't move them from iCloud Drive unless you want to remove them from iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.