Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Price does not include being able to charge the device?

I just received my new SE. Extreme excitement turned to real indignation. I realized there is no way to charge it. I ordered online. So much tech and energy went into me picking the right color and band size, very little into explaining I can't actually charge it.

I called my local store. Sure thing, they can ship me a $20 adapter. Unbelievable. Particularly since it costs less on Amazon @ $17.98. The Apple Store said they reduced packaging size by not including it. There was plenty of room for it, after all - being able to charge an electronic device is an essential aspect of owning it.

Is there any way to get one for free from Apple? Aren't they required to include components that make the product function?

Apple Watch SE

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 5:16 PM

No, you can't get one free. I'm guessing you didn't read what's in the box when you ordered online. Had you done that, it would have been clear you get the watch and charging cord, but no charging plug.

In 2020, Apple announced they would no longer be including charging plugs with iPhone or Apple Watch. This decision was based on several factors such as most people already have charging plugs they can use. Or loads of people already had an Apple Apple Watch and could use their previous charger. Or loads of people have modern laptops/computers with USB C input, which they can use. In some countries Apple can't include a charger (EU for example) as they were banned to stop the increasing electronic waste the world is seeing.

If you never owned an Apple Watch. You've never owned any other USB C product (USB C has become the new norm over the last few years) or you don't have a modern computer with USB C inputs, then yes, you'll need buy a charging plug. But you don't have to buy it from Apple. They sell one for $19.99. Or you can drop by any Best Buy Store and buy one (the Anker Nano 20w USB C plug is great and highly regarded for about $16. Or you can go on Amazon and buy any of hundreds or USB C charging plugs they sell.

At the bottom of EVERY page where you buy the watch you want with the band you want is this:

What’s in the Box

• Silver Aluminum Case
  • Sport Loop

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2022 5:16 PM in response to JDM19283746

No, you can't get one free. I'm guessing you didn't read what's in the box when you ordered online. Had you done that, it would have been clear you get the watch and charging cord, but no charging plug.

In 2020, Apple announced they would no longer be including charging plugs with iPhone or Apple Watch. This decision was based on several factors such as most people already have charging plugs they can use. Or loads of people already had an Apple Apple Watch and could use their previous charger. Or loads of people have modern laptops/computers with USB C input, which they can use. In some countries Apple can't include a charger (EU for example) as they were banned to stop the increasing electronic waste the world is seeing.

If you never owned an Apple Watch. You've never owned any other USB C product (USB C has become the new norm over the last few years) or you don't have a modern computer with USB C inputs, then yes, you'll need buy a charging plug. But you don't have to buy it from Apple. They sell one for $19.99. Or you can drop by any Best Buy Store and buy one (the Anker Nano 20w USB C plug is great and highly regarded for about $16. Or you can go on Amazon and buy any of hundreds or USB C charging plugs they sell.

At the bottom of EVERY page where you buy the watch you want with the band you want is this:

What’s in the Box

• Silver Aluminum Case
  • Sport Loop

Feb 9, 2022 5:41 PM in response to JDM19283746

Tell Apple that. This is a user to user only forum. You likely won't get anywhere with your expectation however, since Apple says what's provided up front. And if they give one to you, wouldn't they be obligated to give one to everyone who asks for one? That's most unlikely.

But you can provide feedback to Apple via this link --> Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

Feb 9, 2022 5:20 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Thanks for taking time to respond.

Yes but for those of us who need an adapter it should be free. It is simple. It is like selling a vacuum cleaner but asking people to buy the cord extra. Or a car, but you have to buy the key to the gas tank extra. If you need it - it should be free. Simple. It wasn't clear to me at all I couldn't just plug that charger into something. I didn't even know I needed to worry about that. Silly.

Feb 10, 2022 5:16 PM in response to JDM19283746

No, your analogies really don't work. Dyson does include an electrical system with house plugs in the box. I thought long ago that manufacturers should have stopped including power adapters. I tend to update yearly and I have a number of power adapters, why should I be charged for a new Apple one every time I buy a Phone. What if I don't want the Apple one, what if I want the lavender Anker Nano Pro 20w USB-C instead? I've already been forced to buy an Apple Power adapter and pay for it.

So why not make it optional and those who want it can buy it and those that don't can buy something else? And eventually it will help the environment as the EU forces everyone to USB-C.

Feb 16, 2022 7:27 AM in response to JDM19283746

Hi JDM19283746,

I agree with you entirely and had this problem myself and is ongoing.

May I ask what iPhone chargers and leads do you have and if so what happened when trying them on this Watch.

I say this because if you go to the Apple store and click on your watch and look for compatible power and cables for it you will see 4 compatible. The USB C and and 3 other USB A 5w 5w and 12w

Compatible by definition means they ALL should charge your watch

Feb 28, 2022 9:08 AM in response to Lobtox

The items came with USB-C. I think you can order a normal USB for the watch if you want to pay extra. It'll work with all of those I think. But it shipped with USB-C cords which I don't have even with an Ipad I bought just in 2020. I had nothing to plug the USB C into without purchasing an additional adapter or new laptop. I ended up getting a free adapter after a bit of a strong push with Apple Customer Service - though initially, they wanted me to buy extra adapters. In the end, the purchase experience was soured and I returned both devices and the free adapter on principle. I bought them as a treat for myself and the experience of treating myself was ruined. So I sent it all back. Happier with the money. I didn't need any of these items. If Apple had just shipped me the adapter without question for free in my first call I probably would have kept them. But in the struggle, the shiny new toys just sort of sat there mocking me on my table for days without being able to be used.

Price does not include being able to charge the device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.