Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change combination Opt+Shift+Cmd+V -- Paste text without any formatting

Hi,

after searching a while I found that the combination Opt+Shift+Cmd+V does a kind of "Past text without any formatting". I've used this feature many many times in other systems (Windows, Linux), but for some reason in MacOS it is not that important, and someone decided to assign it to one of the most cumbersome keyboard combinations (4 keys, really? was this necessary?).

Please, how can I change this combination to something more easy like Shift+Cmd+V or Opt+Cmd+V?

thanks

NOTE: there is an old discussion on this issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251185367?login=true

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 1:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 6:27 AM

You can create your own shortcut: Create keyboard shortcuts for apps on Mac - Apple Support

Make one for All Applications and pick a combination that is otherwise not used anywhere else (or one that you don't use in other apps). Built-in shortcuts can sometimes not be used.

Similar questions

15 replies

Feb 10, 2022 11:49 PM in response to Joan_14

I was able to make it work in Word, but not with the general settings (Mac) but with the ones in Word:

• Extras/Tools – Edit keyboard or keyboard shortcuts ...
  • click on Edit
  • search for paste or paste without format or similar
  • click on the command
  • go to shortcut and press the shortcut combination (Ctrl + Cmd + V in my case)

now it works but only for Word. In other programs (MS OneNote, etc) it doesn't.

Feb 10, 2022 8:38 AM in response to Joan_14

Joan_14 wrote:

Hi,
after searching a while I found that the combination Opt+Shift+Cmd+V does a kind of "Past text without any formatting". I've used this feature many many times in other systems (Windows, Linux), but for some reason in MacOS it is not that important, and someone decided to assign it to one of the most cumbersome keyboard combinations (4 keys, really? was this necessary?).

Please, how can I change this combination to something more easy like Shift+Cmd+V or Opt+Cmd+V?
thanks

NOTE: there is an old discussion on this issue.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251185367?login=true

It is easy to Command C and Command V to a plain txt file this will strip out all formatting.

I always have an open scratch.txt file open for this purpose

or use the key short cut

TextEdit User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Feb 10, 2022 7:54 AM in response to Barney-15E

hi Barney-15E,

thanks for the input. I've tried to add the command but the keyboard shortcut does not work.

Menu: Einfügen->Nur den Text übernehme

in German, stands for Paste→without formatting , or similar.

I've used the same words when inserting the list of commands into the menu field.

Shortcut: ^⌘V (is not assigned to any other command to my knowledge according to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236)

thanks

J

Feb 10, 2022 11:17 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

according to the instructions I got from Barney (https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/create-keyboard-shortcuts-for-apps-mchlp2271/mac) you have to put the Menu and Command like this :

Einfügen->Nur den Text übernehmen (German)

Paste->Paste and Match Style (translation into English)

I may have to try to change the system in English maybe, don't know.

thanks

Feb 13, 2022 9:44 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

first part of the "command" is "Einfügen":

second part is "Nur den Text übernehmen"

system preferences >> keyboard >> app shortcuts

I've tried with "Einfügen->Nur den Text übernehmen" and "Nur den Text übernehmen". In. both cases when pressing the combination it does nothing.

BTW: yes, I do use also a text editor in between to overcome this problem but when copying text from several sources and making notes, I do want to type faster and for that I need to have certain shortcuts working in OneNote (and in some cases in Word). If it doesn't work that way, I'll have to keep using a text editor or using the mouse each time, but it is not the most efficient way to do that.

thanks for the inputs and effort

Feb 14, 2022 1:12 AM in response to Joan_14

WAIT!!!!

I have to retract my previous post. Shortcuts created in System Preferences DO WORK in Word.

Looking back at your screenshots:

1) You seem to be using a popup menu from a window toolbar, rather than the Menu Bar

2) This is what I see in the menu bar when Word is set to German:

The command is

Einfügen und an Formatierung anpassen

and also:

The command-control-V shortcut is assigned to "Inhalte einfügen..." so before you can reassign it, choose a different shortcut for this one.

In the end, I can say that IT WORKS!

Feb 11, 2022 12:46 AM in response to Joan_14

What Barney said.

It seems that you are not writing the exact text of the menu and that is probably why it is not working.

To clarify this once and for all, you could post here two screenshots:

a) showing the relevant menu in one application-for example, Mail, or Safari. This is relevant given that your system is in German, and mine (and others) are in English.

b) showing the relevant part of System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts

If we are right the two may not match exactly-perhaps, as Barney suggested, because you are putting in the intermediate menu text, and should only use the submenu text.

Change combination Opt+Shift+Cmd+V -- Paste text without any formatting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.