Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to choose between Apple TV 4K 32Gb or 64Gb version?

I have the original Apple TV and would like to upgrade it to the most current but I'm not sure if I should get the 32 or 64 Gb version (?).

Background: I'm not only going to be using it for streaming shows on my older SONY Tv (not a smart Tv), but also as a hub for setting up HomeKit in my home. Side note: I'll likely download a few streaming service apps to the Apple TV but will not be gaming with it at all. I'm not sure if the number of HomeKit connect devices (video doorbell, door lock, thermostat, a couple video cameras, etc) takes up the Apple TV storage or not, but I want to take advantage of the free video camera storage on my iCloud account.

So does anybody have a recommendation for which size Apple TV 4K to get?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 3:29 PM

Yes - I’m using HomeKit. The hub role seems to bounce between the Apple TV and two HomePod minis (setup as a stereo pair), but usually the ATV4K is shown as the “connected” hub (on rare occasions when I check, it seems to be preferred). I’m pretty sure that the HomeKit hub role takes only a few hundred megabytes if that (out of the 32,000 megabytes we’re talking about here :-).

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2022 3:29 PM in response to Liv4Fam

Yes - I’m using HomeKit. The hub role seems to bounce between the Apple TV and two HomePod minis (setup as a stereo pair), but usually the ATV4K is shown as the “connected” hub (on rare occasions when I check, it seems to be preferred). I’m pretty sure that the HomeKit hub role takes only a few hundred megabytes if that (out of the 32,000 megabytes we’re talking about here :-).

Feb 10, 2022 10:46 AM in response to Liv4Fam

I've got the 32GB version and I consider myself an average user who streams content. The sum total of storage reported used by the 21 installed apps (most not in regular use) is under 1GB. I've got it set to download all the pretty UHD/4K screensaver footage on offer on a daily basis.

The only justification I've heard for the 64GB version is if you or yours are avid gamers with a pair of xbox controllers in regular use. Oh - I've seen another argument in favor of 64GB: "it's only $20 more" (I don't feel this way since it's a pricey box to begin with :-).

Feb 10, 2022 12:05 PM in response to bgmeek

That is helpful to understand the amount of apps and usage of them, thanks. It sounds like you may not be using HomeKit (?). With everything I've read, the Apple TV device only is acting as a hub and the video collection from doorbell or cameras is directly and securely streamed up to iCloud and NOT stored in any way on the Apple TV 4K. Any thoughts on that?

How to choose between Apple TV 4K 32Gb or 64Gb version?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.