Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12.2.1 Internet Over WiFi is Inconsistent

I have installed a clean Monterey 12.2.1 OS on my MBP 15" (2018). When connected to WiFi, the wifi icon shows strong signal and is persistently connected but Internet navigation is inconsistent. Some pages will load while others will not. Music and the App Store apps will not load content. My AppleTV on the same WiFi network can successfully test my Internet speed via the Ookla app but the MacOS version of the Ookla app fails repeatedly, reporting that I'm not connected to the Internet despite the fact that I'm streaming a YouTube video concurrently. Mail reports connection errors. When I switch to Ethernet, all works wonderfully. I am now preparing to downgrade to Big Sur to see if normal functionality is restored. Any suggestions and insight are appreciated!

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 5:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 1:39 AM

Try booting to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches and other things that may resolve your problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Do you have problem when in Safe Mode

A lot of times just boot to Safe Mode followed by normal boot resolves problems.

Similar questions

9 replies

Feb 11, 2022 2:50 PM in response to lllaass

Similar problem here. Onboard apps work perfectly fine but internet is really flaky with 12.2.1. I may go to my news media website and it fires up just fine. Then I may go to a different site and it may work OK but when I try to go back to the first site it's like the internet connection freezes up. I then have to reboot the computer (which now takes much longer than in the past) in order to clear cache....which should be empty anyway. I've had to do that three times already today since installing 12.2.1 this morning. It's a real PITA. As you can see I'm not lacking for memory.

Apr 6, 2022 11:37 PM in response to nhlaholic

I'm also having the same issue on my end. I'm currently doing an upgrade to V12.3.1 of Monterey, and will report here if I have any issues going forward after that upgrade. I don't see anything listed in the "notes" for the upgrade that refer to this "connectivity" issue though.

I have confirmed that when I'm on Wifi or LAN, that I have the same "experience". I don't think it's a router issue, as other devices (including other OS device/s); work "fine" when connected on Wifi or LAN. I also tried the "safe mode" boot, and coming back to the "normal" boot and it didn't manage to resolve the issue. I actually noticed that it caused the "intermittent" internet "breakages" after coming back from the safe boot, which was strange.

I have also noticed that this doesn't really follow a "pattern" in terms of when the issues occurs i.e. last night it was giving me issues, I left the Macbook "as is" and came back today in the morning and it was "ok". So it seems random at best, and not really linked to some "third party" software on the Macbook.

Has Apple had anything official to say with respect to this, as I see this item has been open for some time?

Apr 8, 2022 3:10 AM in response to mr_mtc

Just an update on this... I could unfortunately not upgrade to 12.3.1 on my end, as the network kept timing out so I couldn't download the "update". What I resorted to was downgrading the Mac OS version from 12.2.1 to 12.0.1 as well (using one of my backups).

This seems to have resolved the issue, I've had no issues since doing the downgrade. So there is definitely something wrong on the previous release of Monterey.

Monterey 12.2.1 Internet Over WiFi is Inconsistent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.