You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spacebar in macbook pro 2020 functions as tab key, what to do?

i don’t know which buttons I pushed by mistake but now my spacebar acts as a tab function so I cannot type correctly in my mac. Whenever I use space, there is either a green border or pink border on the screen where I want to type and spacebar not working and as I press space, it moves to other sections in the screen as what you get when you use tab button. I restarted twice, Under setting and keyboard I returned all settings to default. Don’t know what else to do. I have the latest updates and all apps are updated. Please help.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 12:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 5:17 AM

Disable Full Keyboard Access in System Preferences > Accessibility > Keyboard.

5 replies

Feb 11, 2022 2:52 AM in response to parastoo224

Check if you have same keyboard behaviour in safe mode.

&

If you have an external keyboard try connecting it, see if the issue exists.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support (Takes longer to boot)

NoteSafe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

Spacebar in macbook pro 2020 functions as tab key, what to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.