Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight not re-indexing or finding anything.

Search suddenly stopped working in Calendar.

So I tried forcing a rebuild of spotlight indexing - by excluding the HD and then including it again.

(https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201716)

Now Spotlight does not show any results from my drive/files/documents.

I desperation I ran the terminal script I found suggested (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7913794) but it has made no difference:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain u -domain s -domain l -v

What can I do now?

Thanks for any help.

Running High Sierra.

Don't remember making any changes between when search last worked and stopped.

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 2:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 8:52 AM

Assuming the things you wish to search for are checked in Sys Prefs>Spotlight>Search Results...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Manually Rebuilding Spotlight via Terminal

If the aforementioned Spotlight control panel approach doesn’t spur a reindexation of the drive, you may need to initiate it manually through the command line. Open Terminal and use the following command string to do so:

sudo mdutil -E /

This basically asks for temporary super user status, which is why Terminal may ask you for your password (it may not if you’ve used a sudo command recently or are already logged in as a super user or root. The command asks the unix tool mdutil to reindex the spotlight database for everything on the computer, including external drives, mounted disk images, etc. To re-index only for a specific drive, use the /Volumes path. For example, for an external drive named “MiniMe,” the command would look like this:

sudo mdutil -i on /

Rebuilding a drive index can take a long time, so be prepared to wait whether you do it through the System Preference panel or the command line.

If still need be…

Open Terminal and run each of these one at a time

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -lint -r -f -v -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user -domain network

killall Dock

sudo mdutil -E /

sudo mdutil -i on /

Rebuilding a drive index can take a long time, so be prepared to wait whether you do it through the System Preference panel or the command line.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2022 8:52 AM in response to hangingbyathread

Assuming the things you wish to search for are checked in Sys Prefs>Spotlight>Search Results...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Manually Rebuilding Spotlight via Terminal

If the aforementioned Spotlight control panel approach doesn’t spur a reindexation of the drive, you may need to initiate it manually through the command line. Open Terminal and use the following command string to do so:

sudo mdutil -E /

This basically asks for temporary super user status, which is why Terminal may ask you for your password (it may not if you’ve used a sudo command recently or are already logged in as a super user or root. The command asks the unix tool mdutil to reindex the spotlight database for everything on the computer, including external drives, mounted disk images, etc. To re-index only for a specific drive, use the /Volumes path. For example, for an external drive named “MiniMe,” the command would look like this:

sudo mdutil -i on /

If still need be…

Open Terminal and run each of these one at a time

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -lint -r -f -v -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user -domain network

killall Dock

sudo mdutil -E /

sudo mdutil -i on /

Feb 20, 2022 4:43 AM in response to hangingbyathread

Thanks very much for your reply.

I tried everything and did not get any success.

It seemed that the index would begin rebuilding and then hang. - perhaps.

Results seemed to begin to show (when searching for folder I had on the desktop it showed up - but only when clicking 'show all in finder' - but then after a few hours I checked again and got no results at all.

I tried to re-installing system software - but it made no difference.

In the end I erased my HD completely and re-installed system software and migrated my files/settings back for a time-machinre backup and fixed my problem.

Spotlight not re-indexing or finding anything.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.