Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LINUX ON MACBOOK AIR

I'm trying to install linux(centos) on my MacBook Air m1, I tried using virtual machine software like virtual box(oracle) VMware player 12, but its not installing ,please guide me to install linux on my Mac without removing macOS

I have macOS Monterey 12.1

any help is appreciated

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 10:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 7:22 AM

jitender8076 wrote:

Thank you for the reply
I have tried VMware, but there is a error stating Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken...

If you have used any of the released VMWare product versions, none of them will work. The only one that will work is the VMWare Fusion Tech Preview . I can verify that it works as I have installed Fedora ARM64 and Ubuntu ARM64 with the the following desktop environments: KDE (Plasma), GNOME, LXQt, Xfce.. All of which run pretty well on my M1 MacBook Air on Monterey 12.2.1.

can you please provide links for parallel desktop(free).

Parallels Desktop for Mac is a commercial product and is not free.

https://www.parallels.com

if possible) and iso image link of centos for Mac.

https://www.centos.org

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2022 7:22 AM in response to jitender8076

jitender8076 wrote:

Thank you for the reply
I have tried VMware, but there is a error stating Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken...

If you have used any of the released VMWare product versions, none of them will work. The only one that will work is the VMWare Fusion Tech Preview . I can verify that it works as I have installed Fedora ARM64 and Ubuntu ARM64 with the the following desktop environments: KDE (Plasma), GNOME, LXQt, Xfce.. All of which run pretty well on my M1 MacBook Air on Monterey 12.2.1.

can you please provide links for parallel desktop(free).

Parallels Desktop for Mac is a commercial product and is not free.

https://www.parallels.com

if possible) and iso image link of centos for Mac.

https://www.centos.org

Feb 12, 2022 5:23 AM in response to jitender8076

Parallels Desktop Mac works fine for virtual machines on an M1 Mac. The only caveat is that the version of Linux MUST be an ARM64 build.

There is also an an app available in the MacApp Store called UTM. It is basically a GUI wrapper around the QEMU virtualizer/emulator. On the vendor website, he has links with ready to go images of a couple different Linux distributions.

Also, while still a beta product, you can sign up for the VMWare Fusion Tech Preview at the VMWare site. I have successfully installed several different Linux distros using it.

Again, in all the above cases, the Linux distro must be an ARM64 build and NOT an Intel build.

Feb 12, 2022 6:47 AM in response to woodmeister50

Thank you for the reply

I have tried VMware, but there is a error stating Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken, i tried to search it, and I guess its because of Monterey OS. Please help if I'm missing something.

can you please provide links for parallel desktop(free, if possible) and iso image link of centos for Mac.

Thank you

Feb 12, 2022 8:08 AM in response to woodmeister50

quick questions,

I have downloaded the VMware tech preview will last forever or it just a trial

when I tried to load centos it gives This virtual machine cannot be powered on because it requires the X86 machine architecture, which is incompatible with this Arm machine architecture host error what's the problem

I got the screen of

install centos

test this media and install centos

troubleshooting

when I select or enter any of the three it doesn't work or get to next step. please help

Thanks

Feb 12, 2022 8:16 AM in response to jitender8076

jitender8076 wrote:

quick questions,
(Q)I have downloaded the VMware tech preview will last forever or it just a trial
(A)Ask the VMWare site/developers/users about their licensing. But just the name "tech preview" should provide a pretty good hint as to whether it is a production/permanent release.
(Q)when I tried to load centos it gives This virtual machine cannot be powered on because it requires the X86 machine architecture, which is incompatible with this Arm machine architecture host error what's the problem
I got the screen of
install centos
test this media and install centos
troubleshooting
when I select or enter any of the three it doesn't work or get to next step. please help
(A) You likely downloaded the x86 version rather than the ARM version. Check on the download site.

Thanks

LINUX ON MACBOOK AIR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.