Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

clearing up space - installers

I'm trying to free up space for other programs to run. I am in the system information program and the macOS Big Sur and Monterey installers are at the top of the list with 12.21 GB. Is it safe to delete one or both without any horrible repercussions?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 4:33 PM

3 replies

Feb 13, 2022 1:59 AM in response to jc1600

It is suggested to keep at least 15% of the Drive Total Capacity as Empty Space for good operations of the computer and for additional updates to download, expand and install.

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

clearing up space - installers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.