Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27" Retina 4K late 2014 cracked screen white lines

I replaced my ssd hard drive in my late 2014 27" Retina iMac (iMac 15,1), by myself, first time. I chipped the screen at top while detaching from the body. This turned into a hairline crack the length of screen. Finished the install of ssd, plugged screen back in, booted up to test before taping up. I have white vertical lines now on the screen (pic attached- I cant get get the pic horizontally as attachment).

Could this be caused by the crack? Or might it be something that can be fixed?

Thx in advance!

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 10:15 AM

Your story sounds like a classic example why one should not be a do-it-yourselfer on an iMac. They are difficult to work on for experts and trained professionals let alone someone that has viewed a few YouTube videos. I suspect you have damaged the computer to the extent it is not cost effective to get it repaired. Before you do anything more, please take it to your local Apple Authorized Service Provider to get an assessment of what is wrong (we have absolutely no way to tell on a forums as we can't see or evaluate your machine) and after the professional assessment then decide what you want to do.

Sorry to tell you bad news, but I think you are about to learn a valuable lesson.

Best of luck.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2022 10:15 AM in response to randolph184

Your story sounds like a classic example why one should not be a do-it-yourselfer on an iMac. They are difficult to work on for experts and trained professionals let alone someone that has viewed a few YouTube videos. I suspect you have damaged the computer to the extent it is not cost effective to get it repaired. Before you do anything more, please take it to your local Apple Authorized Service Provider to get an assessment of what is wrong (we have absolutely no way to tell on a forums as we can't see or evaluate your machine) and after the professional assessment then decide what you want to do.

Sorry to tell you bad news, but I think you are about to learn a valuable lesson.

Best of luck.

iMac 27" Retina 4K late 2014 cracked screen white lines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.