Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why my photos are synced in low res?

The issue is about photos on my Mac and iPhone sync. It looks like they're transferred in low resolution (file size speaking, about 1/5 of the original quality). Is there a way to avoid this and sync the original files?

I sync my iPhone using USB-C (inside finder) for photos only.

Thank you

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 8:15 AM

The easiest way to sync your photos to your iPad or iPhone in the full resolution would be iCloud Photos.

You could create a smaller Photos Library to be used with iCloud Photos to transfer your photos, so you do not need to sign up for a huge iCloud Storage plan.

All other methods would require a lot of work - save the full resolution photos on iCloud Drive or Air Drop them to the iPhone.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2022 8:15 AM in response to Advanced User

The easiest way to sync your photos to your iPad or iPhone in the full resolution would be iCloud Photos.

You could create a smaller Photos Library to be used with iCloud Photos to transfer your photos, so you do not need to sign up for a huge iCloud Storage plan.

All other methods would require a lot of work - save the full resolution photos on iCloud Drive or Air Drop them to the iPhone.

Feb 15, 2022 2:31 AM in response to Advanced User

Hi

How are you checking the resolution?

In photos, select an image, and open the info pane (cmd-i) to find the resolution of the stored image. If you are dragging an image out of photos you are only dragging the preview - which might be lower resolution.

To get a full resolution copy out of photos, select it and use file>export - and make sure full size is selected. Bear mind, that as well as resolution, "quality" settings - compression - will impact file size.

If you want the exact file out of photos as it was when imported (no re-compression or edits applied) use file>export unmodified original.

Feb 15, 2022 3:02 AM in response to Advanced User

Are you asking about syncing from the Mac to the iPhone or from the iPhone to the Mac?

When you are syncing from the Mac to the iPhone the photos will be synced in an optimized resolotion , specific for each device. The photos will be smaller on the iPhone.

but when you download new photos from the iPh9ne, they will be in the original quality and resolution.

Feb 15, 2022 3:33 AM in response to léonie

I'll reply here to both of you, Tony and léonie, thanks for your replies.

I'm syncing from the Mac to the iPhone my mirrorless camera photos.

As léonie suggested, it looks like photos are synced in an optimized resolution (picture info on the iPhone shows 4MP vs 24MP).

This could be a problem whenever I want to share them in high res, or just post them somewhere without losing details.

I guess there isn't a way to get full res with this sync method right?

Should I use another program to achieve this? Any other ideas?

Thank you

Why my photos are synced in low res?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.