Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kardia ECG data to Apple Health app

I have a Kardia 6L and can’t work out how to share the ECG intro from my Kardia device to the Apple Heath app.

Has anyone managed to get the Apple Health app to read the ECG info from a…..dedicated ECG device (Kardia 6L)

Thanks

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 1:57 PM

So….Kardia’s initial response was:

’…We apologize for the inconvenience. We're sorry, the ECG results from the 6L cannot be shared with the Health app…’

When pushed for a reason why, and timeframe to enable this (assuming it’s in Kardia’s control), their response is:

’…Again, we do apologize. We are not aware of a timeframe for the engineering team to work on the feature. However, we have already shared your comments and suggestions with the management team…’

That seems to suggest that it’s actually Kardia who are not sharing the ECG info with the Health app as opposed to the Health app not allowing Kardia to write to it. Maybe. Most strange. Either way, their response was a polite way of saying ‘it’s not going to work any time soon’ 🤦🏻‍♂️

We can but live in hope that one day an update will allow this.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2022 1:57 PM in response to dwdrums36

So….Kardia’s initial response was:

’…We apologize for the inconvenience. We're sorry, the ECG results from the 6L cannot be shared with the Health app…’

When pushed for a reason why, and timeframe to enable this (assuming it’s in Kardia’s control), their response is:

’…Again, we do apologize. We are not aware of a timeframe for the engineering team to work on the feature. However, we have already shared your comments and suggestions with the management team…’

That seems to suggest that it’s actually Kardia who are not sharing the ECG info with the Health app as opposed to the Health app not allowing Kardia to write to it. Maybe. Most strange. Either way, their response was a polite way of saying ‘it’s not going to work any time soon’ 🤦🏻‍♂️

We can but live in hope that one day an update will allow this.

Feb 14, 2022 1:10 PM in response to muguy

Thanks for the reply muguy. Yes, the Kardia supports sharing with the Health app.

See screenshot, the Apple Health app is only attempting to read the info below (where approved) - none of which is ECG. This makes me think that Apple are deliberately not allowing the ECG data to be read? (some options are off in the screenshot because they’re already shared to Health via a different device and app)

Thanks

Feb 14, 2022 1:18 PM in response to Dunc101

Hi Dunc101,

Honestly, I'm not too sure, but it's possible that "Heart rate" is what you're looking for? That would be the third slider down.

The Apple Health app, as with most other apps in the Apple ecosystem, is built with simplicity in mind. To this end, they may have decided to use the term "Heart rate" to make it easier to understand, since not everyone will know what ECG or EKG represents.

Hope this helps (since I'm out of ideas otherwise 😂)

Feb 14, 2022 2:45 PM in response to Emilo076

Hi Emilo076 - thanks for the reply. Heart rate is just pulse rate (even in Apple Health world 😂), and that’s provided to the Health app via my Omron X7 (along with other data).

I know Apple Watch from series 4 and later has a 1 lead ECG built in as part of the heart rate sensor, but I’ve got an older series 2, and the Kardia shows a more detailed 6 lead result.

I don’t get the corporate advantage of Apple blocking the data transfer - it’s not like I’m going to now go and buy a new watch just to get a built in (lower spec) ECG. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s not stopping me achieve anything, but it is an unnecessary irritant.

Looking at the settings again, if I tap to drill more into the electrocardiogram item in the Health app, Kardia is listed as a data source, but if you drill down again, the Apple Health app only lets the Kardia app READ from it. There’s the issue. The Health app needs to allow the Kardia app to WRITE to it also.

Double checking in the Kardia app also, ECG is listed as something that the Kardia app can READ only from the Apple Health app. Why would a 6L ECG app want to read data from a 1L ECG app? That makes no sense to me.

Why, Apple…why?! 😡😢

Feb 14, 2022 3:05 PM in response to Dunc101

Hi,

You might do best to check with Kardia support, see if there's anything they can do to help. Maybe they know some workaround or something? I doubt they'd sell a product that's going to get its function impaired by the device its intended to be used with, but they'd probably be the ones to know that.

Sorry I can't be of more help 😕

Kardia ECG data to Apple Health app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.