Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external speakers for 24 inch iMac

I have a 24 inch iMac I have connected my Bowers & Wilkins MM1 speakers to the computer via usb A to C converter.

They used to work on my 27 inch iMac but on the new machine they don't appear and just plays through internal speakers.

Is there a fix for this.

Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 6:01 PM

Hi, JohnL123. what happens if you hold down the "Option" key and click on the speaker icon at the top right of your screen ? The speakers should be listed under USB Output....If you go to system preferences, then sound, then sound effects/output, it should be there, in theory....You might also have to mess around with Audio MIDI setup and ensure that your sound output is set to the B&W MM1 speakers. You should make sure the sound is set to the default, at least for now (44 Khz, 16 bit 2 channel.) ....you can play a test tone to ensure that your speakers are working fine. I don't know what MacOS you have/are running, if that would make a difference.... maybe they need a firmware update ?? you could try doing a reset smc/pmu and zap pram 4 times on startup on your iMac. here's the link to ask Bowers and Wilkins a question. I'm sure they could help you out better than I could: https://support.bowerswilkins.com/app/products/detail/p/6369/locale/en-ca

john B

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2022 6:01 PM in response to johnL123

Hi, JohnL123. what happens if you hold down the "Option" key and click on the speaker icon at the top right of your screen ? The speakers should be listed under USB Output....If you go to system preferences, then sound, then sound effects/output, it should be there, in theory....You might also have to mess around with Audio MIDI setup and ensure that your sound output is set to the B&W MM1 speakers. You should make sure the sound is set to the default, at least for now (44 Khz, 16 bit 2 channel.) ....you can play a test tone to ensure that your speakers are working fine. I don't know what MacOS you have/are running, if that would make a difference.... maybe they need a firmware update ?? you could try doing a reset smc/pmu and zap pram 4 times on startup on your iMac. here's the link to ask Bowers and Wilkins a question. I'm sure they could help you out better than I could: https://support.bowerswilkins.com/app/products/detail/p/6369/locale/en-ca

john B

external speakers for 24 inch iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.