Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple please allow OS update over cellular data control

Currently couple thousand of mobile devices in enterprise cannot be updated because usually they are mobile and do not have wifi connection. I understand that USA is a third world regarding rates for LTE packets but in EU downloading 200MB even up to several GB update (especially at night when LTE networks are not busy) once for a while is not an issue.

That is why there should be control (MDM based of course) of the logic if and how to download updates over cellular data (especially LTE which is current technology). That is a shame that we still have no control over that and must take employees time and fuss to update manually.

Apple, please start to care about UX in enterprise environments.

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 4:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 4:52 PM

You are not talking to Apple. this is a user forum.

You're welcome to leave Apple feedback at https://apple.com/feedback

Currently, it is to possible to install any iOS updates using cellular data unless you have an iPhone 12 or newer with a 5G data plan.

This restriction is at the request of the cellular carriers, not a unilateral decision made by Apple.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2022 4:52 PM in response to iphonicc

You are not talking to Apple. this is a user forum.

You're welcome to leave Apple feedback at https://apple.com/feedback

Currently, it is to possible to install any iOS updates using cellular data unless you have an iPhone 12 or newer with a 5G data plan.

This restriction is at the request of the cellular carriers, not a unilateral decision made by Apple.

Feb 14, 2022 5:04 PM in response to iphonicc

iphonicc Said:

"Apple please allow OS update over cellular data control: Currently couple thousand of mobile devices in enterprise cannot be updated because usually they are mobile and do not have wifi connection [...]That is why there should be control (MDM based of course) of the logic if and how to download updates over cellular data (especially LTE which is current technology)."

-------

See my User Tip: Use an iPhone 12 or later, that is using 5G, in order to update over Cellular - User Tip

Feb 14, 2022 5:19 PM in response to iphonicc

iphonicc Said:

"Unfortunately this is not helpful as enterprise won't invest milions just to upgrade all 10000 phones AND IPADS to 5G to get proper update management."

-------

Time to Upgrade to a Newer Model, Perhaps?:

What's builtin is built in. It cannot be upgraded. It is all integrated as one device. So, consider upgrading to a newer, applicable model.

Feb 15, 2022 8:00 AM in response to iphonicc

I'll just come out and say this. This isn't a big issue. This is a process issue that your org needs to address. Either the devices need to be upgraded to allow for this, or you need to continue with what has been available and working for thousands of orgs worldwide for a decade. I can tell you 100% this is not an issue in my org because I have built my workflows to work the way things have reliably worked. I can also tell you that I've seen more issues with devices that try to upgrade over cellular than I ever have seen over wifi, and the ability to do it over cellular has only been around for a little over a year.

Apple please allow OS update over cellular data control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.