Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Faces confused when names similar

Has anyone had issues with Faces in Photos getting confused when names are similar. My sister-in-law and I have the same name. So I add an initial when labeling her face. This hasn't been a problem until some recent release. Now Photos is confusing us. I have gone in and changed her name to be something that isn't similar to mine and everything works fine. It seems to be when names are similar or include the same words that Photos is confused. I was curious if anyone else has experienced this,

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 9:32 AM

Did you also disable "Prefer Nick Names"? With the preferences below, all names shown in Photos are the full names.

You could try to assign the names to the Scotts people albums again after changing the preferences and restarting the Mac.

For me it is working since macOS 12 Monterey.

6 replies

Feb 24, 2022 4:35 PM in response to bunster12

I'm actually seeing this with other things. I have 3 different people with the first name of Scott. One of them is a favorite and in my contacts. The other 2 are just people I know, but not a favorite and not in my contacts. When I do a smart album for anyone that is "Scott" (the one face that is in my contact as Photos seems to remove last names when linked to a contact), I'm getting pics of all 3 Scotts and not just the "Scott" I want. Has anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions on how to make it work properly?

Faces confused when names similar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.