Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mute doesn't doesn't mute

How do I get the mute button on the 'new' Apple TV remote to work?

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 7:59 AM

Do you have this remote?

The Mute button would work out-of-the-box for many audio systems, using the most common volume control signals, including for Sonos. Your TV would normally relay the Mute command (and Volume Up/Down) via CEC. Else it has to “learn” a remote.

Can you direct me to a specific setting that might enable 'mute'?

There is no such setting. It should work automatically when configured correctly.

Sonos volume control should work via HDMI-CEC. Is your Sonos connected via HDMI? You would have to activate CEC on Apple TV [1] and on your TV [see its manual].

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2022 7:59 AM in response to MrPheasant

Do you have this remote?

The Mute button would work out-of-the-box for many audio systems, using the most common volume control signals, including for Sonos. Your TV would normally relay the Mute command (and Volume Up/Down) via CEC. Else it has to “learn” a remote.

Can you direct me to a specific setting that might enable 'mute'?

There is no such setting. It should work automatically when configured correctly.

Sonos volume control should work via HDMI-CEC. Is your Sonos connected via HDMI? You would have to activate CEC on Apple TV [1] and on your TV [see its manual].

Feb 19, 2022 5:56 PM in response to MrPheasant

Does the mute button of your iPhone's Apple TV Remote (launched from Control Center) work?

Have you tried resetting and re-pairing your remote as described in the "Related Article" listed at the top of this thread (If your Apple TV remote isn't working)?

FWIW, I've never "programmed" my remote to mute my Sony soundbar (controlled via HDMI CEC). I actually have the older (minimalist) black Siri remote without the mute button, but the mute function of the soft remote (on my iPhone) works correctly.

Feb 16, 2022 6:52 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks again for responding. I appreciate the help.

I just explored every Apple TV setting related to Siri, and others related to a/v action, but couldn't find a setting that affects buttons on the new Apple TV remote control. The remote does everything but 'mute' audio. I'm using a Sonos Arc, Sonos sub & Sonos 5 surround speakers.

Can you direct me to a specific setting that might enable 'mute'? Maybe my device is defective?

Feb 16, 2022 8:12 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for the continuing dialog about this. I do appreciate the help. I'm starting to think my Apple TV remote is defective. It does everything but mute. My 4k Vizio TV (2015) has the HDMI-ARC port the Sonos recommends for its Arc speaker, but we couldn't get any of several HDMI cables to work (the HDMI port on the TV might be a problem). So we're optical instead. Audio quality is fine. If HDMI was the issue, the volume toggle on the remote probably wouldn't work either, right?

Feb 19, 2022 2:04 PM in response to MrPheasant

So we're optical instead. Audio quality is fine.

Then you may have to learn the remote to send a Mute signal that Sonos listens to.

Does it work with the Mute function on your TV remote?

If HDMI was the issue, the volume toggle on the remote probably wouldn't work either, right?

I would expect Volume Up, Volume Down, and Mute to work “all or nothing” either way.

Feb 19, 2022 6:13 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Sorry - I just noted your use of optical connection. The iPhone remote won't control volume/mute since IR's your fallback control method for the Apple TV Remote. Again, reset the remote and train it as necessary. I assume you are given the opportunity to teach the mute function as well as volume up & down?

Also, are you sure you told the Vizio to output audio via HDMI ARC? Simply plugging the Sonos into the HDMI port labeled ARC usually isn't enough :-).

Feb 20, 2022 5:56 AM in response to bgmeek

Thanks for this continuing help!

'Mute' on the Apple TV Remote (in iPhone Control Center) is grayed out. The virtual remote manipulates the TV and SS volume, but I can't mute.

Probably unrelated - this remote is trying to manipulate a system labeled 'home theater' that was superseded by 'living room'. I can't find 'living room' on the iPhone, but it doesn't seem to matter; I can still manipulate the TV & sound (just not mute).

Just checked output audio using the Vizio remote control. Output is PCM. I couldn't find HDMI options (though I did recently). The Apple TV box connects to the Sonos Arc via HDMI. The TV connects to the Arc using PCM via an optical cable since we couldn't get the HDMI-ARC port to talk to the Sonos Arc (possibly a bad HDMI port).

Feb 20, 2022 8:39 AM in response to MrPheasant

It's likely that the TV isn't showing HDMI ARC as an option because you've disconnected the Sonos from the TV's ARC-enabled port (this indicates some sign of life on the port in question). If it were me, I would disconnect the ATV4K device (and any other HDMI media devices) from the TV entirely and then see if I could get just the TV and Sonos working together via HDMI by enabling HDMI ARC output and CEC using the TV's setup menus. Play any TV-based content to test. If there's a way to RESET the TV in this respect, try that. Also mess with the sonos settings for enabling the HDMI ARC & CEC connection as needed.

2015 is semi-old by home electronics standards... have you verified that you're running your TV's latest available firmware for your model? Likewise make sure the Sonos is current.

Feb 21, 2022 6:24 AM in response to bgmeek

I'll give this a try. We connected the Sonos Arc to the HGMI-ARC port initially, but it didn't work. I'll get my tech guy back here to see if we can make magic happen with your good suggestions.

Ultimately, we probably need a new TV. The Vizio flickers randomly (ever since new), which tech guy Bryan suggests the bad circuit board he's run into with other Vizios. We've been happy with the TV but for that. Now there's this . . .

mute doesn't doesn't mute

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.