Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Implications of one Apple ID on two different phones with two different numbers

We are in the process of porting our old landline over to a new iPhone (which will still be used as a "home" phone for all intents and purposes). I have a different iPhone for my cell number, which I'm signed into with my Apple ID. For the new "home" iPhone, I'm trying to figure out whether it is better to create a new Apple ID or just use one Apple ID for both phones. I'm unclear on the implications of having both iPhones on one Apple ID, however. I don't really want or need the phones to sync anything, so is it better to just create a different Apple ID for the "home" iPhone?

Not sure if this complicates matters, but, eventually I plan on swapping the numbers on the two devices so that my current cell number is on the new iPhone and the home number is on my old iPhone (but because of a deal through our carrier to add a new line and get $ off a new iPhone, we can't do that yet).

Thoughts and/or advice appreciated!

iPhone 12

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 3:33 PM

If you own the two phones there is little harm in having them both linked to your AppleID.

The short version is that the two phones can sync data such as messages, apps, photos, etc. to make it easy to switch between phones. If there's no need/desire to sync the data then there's little value in having them synched.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2022 3:33 PM in response to LTuongas

If you own the two phones there is little harm in having them both linked to your AppleID.

The short version is that the two phones can sync data such as messages, apps, photos, etc. to make it easy to switch between phones. If there's no need/desire to sync the data then there's little value in having them synched.

Implications of one Apple ID on two different phones with two different numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.