Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes not Syncing Playlists to iPod Touch

I have the latest iPod Touch and the latest iTunes, and can sync new music to the iPod. However, any changes to playlists made in iTunes do not get updated on the iPod.

I have tried many fixes but nothing works. My latest downloaded music syncs without a problem, but no playlist changes do.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

iPod Touch

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 9:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 11:46 AM

Solution found by Apple Support:

Run iTunes.

Connect iPod.

Click "Music" in iTunes.

Click "Sync" and "Entire library".

That fixed the issue with the playlists not syncing. It did NOT re-transfer my entire library, fortunately. Just the recent changes, including the playlists.

6 replies

Feb 17, 2022 9:33 AM in response to the fiend

the fiend wrote:

No Sync should re-transfer the entire library. Instead, the sync should only deal with the changes. That said, I've seen many reports (and have experienced it myself) of "the same songs being synced at every sync", but I've yet to read a reason for this.

The most common reason I've seen for this is unwanted values in the Work field, which is not supported on the classic. These in turn can come from data that used to be in Grouping. I'm guessing the sync mechanism notes there is different metadata between the library and device and adds the item to the sync list. I think another possibility is the multiple tags in mp3 files mentioned in Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows - Apple Community, for similar reasons.

tt2

Feb 16, 2022 1:26 AM in response to Seawind595

Are you making the changes to the Playlists while you have the iPod connected to iTunes? If so, the chances are that the Sync has finished before you make the changes.

Make the changes to your playlists before connecting your iPod to iTunes. Then the Sync will do what it's supposed to do; synchronise your iPod with the changes made by you in your iTunes Library.

Feb 16, 2022 6:30 AM in response to the fiend

Thanks. Yes, I only connect the iPod after making any changes in iTunes. It is not connected while making changes to the playlists.

I just tried again by adding a new playlist to iTunes with a few tracks, then connected the iPod. It displayed the usual messages at the top of the screen during the sync and appeared normal. I ejected the iPod, disconnected the cord, but the new playlist does not show under "Playlists".

No changes made to playlists in iTunes transfer to the iPod.

Feb 17, 2022 3:02 AM in response to Seawind595

Seawind595 wrote:

It did NOT re-transfer my entire library, fortunately. Just the recent changes, including the playlists.

No Sync should re-transfer the entire library. Instead, the sync should only deal with the changes. That said, I've seen many reports (and have experienced it myself) of "the same songs being synced at every sync", but I've yet to read a reason for this. It's possible that the iPod has a hidden playlist, perhaps for shuffle purposes. Whatever it is, I don't concern myself with the cause, I just let iTunes get on with the sync while I do something more interesting.

It sounds as though you may have had Sync selected playlists, artists, albums and genres set rather than Sync Entire Library. It would explain the scenario you experienced. But you can of course include specific (or all) playlists when using Sync selected playlists, artists, albums and genres.

Glad you have it sorted out though.

iTunes not Syncing Playlists to iPod Touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.