Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with Documents folder

2017 iMac with Big Sur 11.6.2. I discovered today that my documents folder was empty? Not sure how this has happened. I tried to recover the info from my TM backup, for some reason this would not restore.

I then copied the TM documents folder to my desktop and drag and dropped the files into a new documents folder as the original folder would not accept 'incoming'.

The original folder is 'locked" and will not delete. This is not a big issue and perhaps is not a wise move.

After a bit of searching around I found that if I went to the Apple Menu, then about this Mac, then storage, then manage - my "Empty Documents Folder" is there in all it's glory with the data files in it.

The question is: how do I get the original Documents Folder back so that it viewable in the normal manner?

Once that is sorted I can delete the info I put into the new documents folder I created.

FYI I do not use iCloud for my documents folder, I checked.

Update: On checking the folder with 'Get Info" it says - You Have No Known Access.......

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 1:05 PM

I have resolved this by re-starting my Mac, perhaps I should have tried this sooner, so apologies.

Have checked Get Info, I now have Sharing & Permissions restored. Probably will never know what kicked this off and it will remain a puzzle. My thanks for your attempts to resolve this for me.

Similar questions

7 replies

Feb 16, 2022 12:23 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Update: On checking the folder with 'Get Info" it says - You Have No Known Access.......

Typo on my part this should read:- "You Have Unknown Access"

I have not upgraded recently, my TM backup of Monday 14 February contains the missing documents but they will not restore.

Screen shot of Finder Window, untouched for months (I do not tinker).

Feb 16, 2022 7:29 AM in response to Peter Bovis

It appears that, for some reason, your Documents folder may have become hidden.

You can confirm this easily: go to your home folder (pressing Command-Shift-H is a shortcut for this in the Finder).

Normally, you should see Documents, as well as Music, Movies, Pictures, etc.

From what you are saying, I expect that you won't see Documents there.

Now press Command-Shift-period to make Finder show hidden files and folders. Do you see Documents now, in grey?

If so, here is what to do:

open Terminal, and paste the following line:

chflags nohidden ~/Documents

You can press Command-Shift-period in the Finder again to reverse the showing of hidden items.

Feb 16, 2022 8:41 AM in response to Peter Bovis

Peter Bovis wrote:

No not for documents, I rely on TM and other back ups.

It may not be your case, but a lot of people, in the course of upgrading, can unwitting answer "yes" to a question that leads to having the Documents folder, and the Desktop folder, to be put in the iCloud Drive. Just to be sure... did you click in iCloud Drive, in a Finder window Sidebar, to confirm if there is a "Documents" folder there?

erhaps it's something to do with this:

Can you please confirm what it says exactly? Are you sure it does not say "You have custom access"?

Help with Documents folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.