Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help: Documents Folder all of a sudden empty

Hello, I had a weird issue where one day all of a sudden my local Documents folder shows up as empty. However all my files are still in the Documents folder under iCloud. In the past, I just save my documents to the local hard drive Documents folder and iCloud syncs it.

The really weird thing is I saw in Preferences, under iCloud sync, the option to sync "Desktop and Documents Folder" was always UNchecked since I initially setup my Mac 3 years ago.

So now I check that preference box hoping my documents show up again locally under the Documents folder, but it had the reverse affect where my local Documents folder is completely gone...the folder that was empty is now completely gone.

So my question is:

1. Why did my local Documents folder all of a sudden become empty without any change in settings?
  2. How do I go back to the way I was working before where I save down my files to the local Documents folder, and the Mac simply then syncs to iCloud? ie. I want my files locally and backed up to iCloud documents

Thank you.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 8:24 AM

The Documents have not yes been downloaded onto the computer. Once that is done, there will be Local( on the Internal Drive of the Computer ) as well as those on iCloud.

Notice the Circle inside the circle with the little Cloud icon. That means that files is Only on iCloud and await me to download that specific file making it Local

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2022 8:24 AM in response to jerryfromPlanetUranus

The Documents have not yes been downloaded onto the computer. Once that is done, there will be Local( on the Internal Drive of the Computer ) as well as those on iCloud.

Notice the Circle inside the circle with the little Cloud icon. That means that files is Only on iCloud and await me to download that specific file making it Local

Help: Documents Folder all of a sudden empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.