Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPN and Wifi conflict?

Hello-

I experienced an issue when connecting to my normal wifi network, it would connect but I would have no internet. I ran network diagnostics and everything returned normally except the DNS check didn't work because I have no internet. I eventually uninstalled the VPN I have on my MacBook (WindScribe) and it resolved my issue. Is there a setting I need to change that I missed, or is this an issue with the new update? Or could it be a compatibility issue with the VPN I was using (I previously used it with no problems). This was an issue when the VPN was off and I quit the app.

I am using an M1 Air with 12.2.1

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 8:10 AM

Sure you can. There is VPN built-in the OS. I use it to connect to my employer's network.

I am sure that third party VPN software works too, but I have never needed any. The built-in VPN supports all the necessary protocols.

As Bob said, you should contact the IT staff at your organization to see which software meets the requirements. Odds are you only need what is built-in already...

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2022 8:10 AM in response to GatsAndGoats

Sure you can. There is VPN built-in the OS. I use it to connect to my employer's network.

I am sure that third party VPN software works too, but I have never needed any. The built-in VPN supports all the necessary protocols.

As Bob said, you should contact the IT staff at your organization to see which software meets the requirements. Odds are you only need what is built-in already...

Feb 16, 2022 8:01 AM in response to GatsAndGoats

GatsAndGoats wrote:

Doesn't help me at all.

Contact your company or organization IT Staff to get their help regarding which VPN client works with their VPN server and how that client should be configured. Many private networks accessed over VPN force all Internet traffic through the VPN server and block non-company official access to the Internet from remote computers.

Feb 16, 2022 8:07 AM in response to PRP_53

I understand what you are saying. But tell me how this has solved my question about whether or not I can use a VPN with my MacBook. If you don't know, you don't know. Is this a known issue? Is this not a known issue? <- based on responses to those 2 questions we can determine whether it's simply an issue with the software I am using. Have you used a VPN on the given hardware and OS version? These are all things that would answer my question. Instead, I am receiving answers as to whether or not I should use a VPN or not.

Feb 16, 2022 9:33 AM in response to GatsAndGoats

Like may of the Other persons posting here, do not have a need or desire to use VPNs.

The worst part is the supposed Claims by many Commercial VPNs who can and do harvest ones data for Monetary Purposes.

Have seen some Other Contributors mention on Commercial VPN and buyer beware - NordVPN working fairly good with Monterey.

VPN and Wifi conflict?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.