Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow/Intermittent internet after 12.4 update (macbook intel)

(WiFi) Ever since Monterey 12.4 I have intermittency of the network, failed traceroutes, failed pings, sometimes I get DNS errors and sometimes just ERR_FAILED on chrome. Sometimes flushing DNS helps, most of the time it does not. I have issues connecting to VPN because the login prompt rarely sends the request to the server. It's like traffic is stalled on the macbook. When I do have internet connectivity, it is VERY slow. My connection is (tested) 580 Mbps and I don't have this problem on any other non-apple device. When I am finally able to connect to VPN, the issue goes away, which is VERY weird. Uninstalling the VPN changes nothing, so the problem cannot be attributed to the software. Rebooting does not resolve. Rejoining the network does not resolve. This happens at home and office network both.

Please don't give me basic troubleshooting steps, I'm a network engineer and "forget and rejoin the network" type advice... let's just say I'VE ALREADY DONE THAT. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 10:38 AM

Turn off Wi-Fi from the menu bar.

Navigate to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ in Finder by pressing ⌘ + Shift + G.

Select the following files:

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

com.apple.network.identification.plist

com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

preferences.plist

Copy these files in a safe location so that if anything gets messed up, you can easily restore them.

Delete the files (from the original location).

Reboot your Mac and enable Wi-Fi again.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2022 10:38 AM in response to Lizergic

Turn off Wi-Fi from the menu bar.

Navigate to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ in Finder by pressing ⌘ + Shift + G.

Select the following files:

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

com.apple.network.identification.plist

com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

preferences.plist

Copy these files in a safe location so that if anything gets messed up, you can easily restore them.

Delete the files (from the original location).

Reboot your Mac and enable Wi-Fi again.

Slow/Intermittent internet after 12.4 update (macbook intel)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.