Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find a photo/video file in the Finder?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 4:28 PM

Thank you, Tony ... I didn't think of the Export feature. That works. The video file I just exported turns out to be the same size as the one that I previously dragged and dropped. But, exporting gives more control on size, resolution. I just tried the unmodified export too and that file is about a third more in size compared to the other export or the drag and drop file. Much appreciate your help. Good to learn this!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2022 4:28 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you, Tony ... I didn't think of the Export feature. That works. The video file I just exported turns out to be the same size as the one that I previously dragged and dropped. But, exporting gives more control on size, resolution. I just tried the unmodified export too and that file is about a third more in size compared to the other export or the drag and drop file. Much appreciate your help. Good to learn this!

Feb 16, 2022 11:18 AM in response to KHCinfo

Do you want to find files stored in your Photos Library?

the Finder does not give you access to the photos in the Photos Library. You have to use the Photos.app to access your photos, or if you want to access the photos from some application, use the Media Browser. When you want to open a photo in another application, for example for uploading to social platforms, you can access the photos bin your library from the "File > Open" dialog. When the window to select a file opens, go to the "Media" section in the sidebar and click "Media > Photos". This will show you the Photos Library. Click it to see the albums inside and to select the photos you want to use.

Feb 16, 2022 1:19 PM in response to Matti Haveri

But possibly not recommended. There is nothing you can do with knowing that file name that you can't do using the photos app. And messing about in the library package - the best you can do is not cause damage.

The only time (IMO) it makes sense to go in there is if the library has already been so badly damaged that it is not possible to access the photos via the app - then it might be necesssary to recover from the package - with some limitations, such as losing filenames.

Feb 16, 2022 3:37 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you all. I've just realized in Monterey that I can drag a movie/image from Photos directly into a Folder in the Finder. In earlier Systems I was accessing the option to "show in Finder" to gain access to it to drop into a dropbox and share. I've just tried a drag and drop and see now that I have copied the File into the Finder ... which is what I wanted. Appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

Feb 16, 2022 9:57 PM in response to KHCinfo

In earlier Systems I was accessing the option to "show in Finder" to gain access to it to drop into a dropbox and share.

"Show in Finder" has been working in iPhoto, but in Photos it is only available for referenced files (and that feature cannot be recommended, as it has some bugs that need fixing).

In the earlier versions of Photos, up to Photos 6, we could use PowerPhotos to reveal original files in the Finder, but that is no longer possible in Photos 7.

Exporting is the safest option anyway.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.