Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot reset my password because I forgot the recovery key. How can I eliminate this apple ID

I have one apple ID that my phone is signed in on, and another for email. I want to eliminate the one my phone is set up on. I forgot the password. I want to eliminate this apple ID entirely. Can I factory rest and then sign in on my good one?

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 1:24 PM

No you cannot. The only way to change the AppleID on the device will require being able to sign out the currently signed in AppleID. Similarly, to delete an AppleID you must log in to that AppleID to request it be deleted. Apple will not delete an AppleID you do not have control of and you demonstrate control of it by being able to log in to it.

If you set a 28-character recovery key (see -> How to generate a recovery key - Apple Support) then you must have that key in order to recover that AppleID. When using an account recovery key, it is imperative that you be able to recall the key (store it in a password manager, or write it down and put it somewhere safe). Without the key, there s no means to recover the AppleID.

from the support document linked to above: “Using a recovery key is more secure, but it means that you’re responsible for maintaining access to your trusted devices and your recovery key. If you lose both of these items, you could be locked out of your account permanently. With that in mind, it's important to keep your recovery key in a safe place. You might want to give a copy of your recovery key to a family member, or keep copies in more than one place. That way you always have your recovery key when you need it.”

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2022 1:24 PM in response to Pencilpusher22

No you cannot. The only way to change the AppleID on the device will require being able to sign out the currently signed in AppleID. Similarly, to delete an AppleID you must log in to that AppleID to request it be deleted. Apple will not delete an AppleID you do not have control of and you demonstrate control of it by being able to log in to it.

If you set a 28-character recovery key (see -> How to generate a recovery key - Apple Support) then you must have that key in order to recover that AppleID. When using an account recovery key, it is imperative that you be able to recall the key (store it in a password manager, or write it down and put it somewhere safe). Without the key, there s no means to recover the AppleID.

from the support document linked to above: “Using a recovery key is more secure, but it means that you’re responsible for maintaining access to your trusted devices and your recovery key. If you lose both of these items, you could be locked out of your account permanently. With that in mind, it's important to keep your recovery key in a safe place. You might want to give a copy of your recovery key to a family member, or keep copies in more than one place. That way you always have your recovery key when you need it.”

I cannot reset my password because I forgot the recovery key. How can I eliminate this apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.