Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade directly from Mojave to Monterey?

I have an old mac mini that's running macOS Mojave. Can I upgrade directly to macOS Monterey or do I have to sequentially upgrade to Catalina, then Big Sur, then Monterey?

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 4:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 12:19 PM

I recently went from mojave to bug sur 11.6 when it came out. Performance was a bit degraded but wasn't as bad as the earlier bug sur versions. It was definitely tolerable so I decided to stay

Moved to montelame since reddit/this site was praising it. It's substantially better performing and even better than Mojave.

That being said, i still have a copy of my mojave install archived just in case

If you're using macOS Mojave or later, you can get macOS Monterey via Software Update: Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Software Update. Or use this link to open the macOS Monterey page on the App Store: Get macOS Monterey. Then click the Get button or iCloud download button.

After downloading, the installer opens automatically. Click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.

Please allow installation to complete without putting your Mac to sleep or closing its lid. Your Mac might restart and show a progress bar or blank screen several times. It might be easier to begin in the evening so that installation can complete overnight.

After installing macOS Monterey, you will be notified when updates to macOS Monterey are available. To check for updates, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Software Update.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2022 12:19 PM in response to r.dave

I recently went from mojave to bug sur 11.6 when it came out. Performance was a bit degraded but wasn't as bad as the earlier bug sur versions. It was definitely tolerable so I decided to stay

Moved to montelame since reddit/this site was praising it. It's substantially better performing and even better than Mojave.

That being said, i still have a copy of my mojave install archived just in case

If you're using macOS Mojave or later, you can get macOS Monterey via Software Update: Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Software Update. Or use this link to open the macOS Monterey page on the App Store: Get macOS Monterey. Then click the Get button or iCloud download button.

After downloading, the installer opens automatically. Click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.

Please allow installation to complete without putting your Mac to sleep or closing its lid. Your Mac might restart and show a progress bar or blank screen several times. It might be easier to begin in the evening so that installation can complete overnight.

After installing macOS Monterey, you will be notified when updates to macOS Monterey are available. To check for updates, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Software Update.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Feb 19, 2022 10:07 AM in response to bobcollard

When trying to upgrade from Mojave to Montery with a 27" iMac, (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB

I am getting the message that I don't have enough space to do it. I need to move or get rid of 28Gb of data. I have an iCloud account of 50 Gb, but have never used it and don't know how to access it. also, my wife heard that data can disappear from the cloud if "the cloud isn't left open". What does that mean? Can I not put things there and leave them safely?

Can I upgrade directly from Mojave to Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.