Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:Q:The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission. Mac desktop.

Question:

Q:

The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission. IMac 11.4

i completed a Time Machine backup to Passport. I selected all files and folders on the desktop and tried dragging into the backup folder on Passport. The message appeared and doesn’t go away, won’t let me shut down or restart

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 8:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 8:13 AM

Pull the plug on the external hard drive and then see if you can restart the iMac.

Then after you get the iMac unhung and going again, you will most likely need to re-format the external drive and start new Time Machine backups on it.

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 16, 2022 9:46 PM in response to KEH921

What in the world are you trying to do? You use your Time Machine backup External Hard Disk for Time Machine backups ONLY!!!! Never try to store anything else on it!!!!!!!!!!!

Time Machine backs up everything therefore trying to drag some files and folders to your Time Machine External Hard Disk is unnecessary and is just asking for trouble.

Feb 17, 2022 1:53 PM in response to KEH921

Do you see a Stop or Cancel button for the drag-n-drop copy job?

If not, then you may need to shutdown by holding the power button for 10 seconds and then restart the iMac.

As mentioned, it is a bad idea to use your Time Machine backup drive for anything but Time Machine.

If you want to drag n drop copy files and/or use cloning software like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make redundant backups, then it is best to use a second external drive for doing that.

https://bombich.com https://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Question:Q:The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission. Mac desktop.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.