Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple music hanging or freezing on random songs

For the last couple of weeks (starting early February 2022), Apple Music on a Macbook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020) will occasionally freeze or hang when loading the next song in a playlist or album. Where the progress bar would start, it just swooshes back and forth like the front of Michael Knight's KITT. If I start another song, the music usually kicks up again -- but at other times I've had to quit the app or restart the computer to get it working.

I reset the cache in Music and updated to Monterey 12.2.1 in the hopes this would fix it, but it has not. Any tips on how to stop this from happening?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 9:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 10:12 PM

ClanVizsla Said:

"Apple music hanging or freezing on random songs: [...]I reset the cache in Music and updated to Monterey 12.2.1 in the hopes this would fix it, but it has not. Any tips on how to stop this from happening?"

-------

Single Out this Device:

Playing this music on anther device, do you still get this error? If so, I'd say it is a corrupt purchase. So, contact Apple back, requesting a new purchase. I've purchased things, and when utility work was operating down the screen, I lost my connection. As a result, the iTunes music that I purchased items were corrupt. So, I contacted Apple, and they kindly replaced the purchases.

Apple Support Contact Use Info:

Note: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due do lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2022 10:12 PM in response to ClanVizsla

ClanVizsla Said:

"Apple music hanging or freezing on random songs: [...]I reset the cache in Music and updated to Monterey 12.2.1 in the hopes this would fix it, but it has not. Any tips on how to stop this from happening?"

-------

Single Out this Device:

Playing this music on anther device, do you still get this error? If so, I'd say it is a corrupt purchase. So, contact Apple back, requesting a new purchase. I've purchased things, and when utility work was operating down the screen, I lost my connection. As a result, the iTunes music that I purchased items were corrupt. So, I contacted Apple, and they kindly replaced the purchases.

Apple Support Contact Use Info:

Note: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due do lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Feb 17, 2022 12:40 AM in response to ClanVizsla

ClanVizsla Said:

"Appreciate the response, but there have been no changes to my home network and have been able to stream every other service consistently and without interruption. And the Apple Music streaming has worked on other devices on the same network. It is a unique problem with the Apple Music app on the Macbook Air."

-------

Troubleshooting Music App:

So, if this pertain to this one Mac, then it has been successfully singled out.

1. Apps Slowing your Mac:

A. Check Force Quit:

See if something is listed as "(Not Responding)". Go to: Apple Menu > Force Quit...> Select anything ending with "(Not Responding)". Also, while in Force Quit... be sure to select Finder, and Click "Relaunch"

Remove Login items:

See if any of these apps are a Login Item. If so, remove them as such and then restart the Mac, seeing if it/they no longer load(s) at login.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items Preferences on Mac - Apple Support.

2. Create New User:

For temporary use, create a new Administrator. See what happens when you log in to it. Do you still get this issue? If not, then is it a misconfiguration in the current user. If so, then you'd likely have to resinstall the macOS.

3. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Use the third bulleted method: [command + r]. Important: Prior to installing an update or performing a reinstallation, to prevent data loss, be sure to Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

Feb 16, 2022 11:18 PM in response to ClanVizsla

ClanVizsla Said:

"Apple music hanging or freezing on random songs: Thanks for the reply. But this isn't a purchase per se -- it's the streaming music from the Apple Music service. So I'm not sure there is any purchase that can be restored. The streaming service has just grown to be borderline non-functional due to these constant disruptions."

-------

Troubleshooting Streaming:

Who's Network is this?:

• Your LAN? If this is your network, then your router may no be stable for streaming services, in which case, it is time to upgrade. Look on the original packaging prior to purchasing it. Or you may need a range extender, as you may be losing the connection.

• Public LAN? If this is a public LAN, however, then I would suspect that this streaming you are performing is taking up too much of the services, and you are being kicked off of it (something you might see in campgrounds or restaurants).

Feb 16, 2022 11:14 PM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for the reply. But this isn't a purchase per se -- it's the streaming music from the Apple Music service. So I'm not sure there is any purchase that can be restored. The streaming service has just grown to be borderline non-functional due to these constant disruptions.

edit to add: this only seems to be a problem on the Macbook Air. The same Apple Music account has worked without similar incident on my iPhone during this time.

Apple music hanging or freezing on random songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.