Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Max Macbook Pro video/audio issues after power surge

Unfortunately, my office suffered a power surge recently and I lost some equipment; modem, dongles, switcher, etc.

However, my M1 Macbook Pro survived. It works fine except it has issues with anything to do with audio and video, that is, I can't play any audio or video.

For example, I can't play a quicktime, mp3 file, or even watch a YouTube video. There's no sound and the videos won't play.

I also can't open any software that is audio/video related, e.g., Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc. But I can open up other software, like Microsoft Word.

Clicking around in the Sound panel in system preferences can be somewhat unresponsive too.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 4:28 AM

Raven_999 wrote:

Unfortunately, my office suffered a power surge recently and I lost some equipment; modem, dongles, switcher, etc.

However, my M1 Macbook Pro survived. It works fine except it has issues with anything to do with audio and video, that is, I can't play any audio or video.

For example, I can't play a quicktime, mp3 file, or even watch a YouTube video. There's no sound and the videos won't play.

I also can't open any software that is audio/video related, e.g., Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc. But I can open up other software, like Microsoft Word.

Clicking around in the Sound panel in system preferences can be somewhat unresponsive too.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

you run the user Diagnostic...not as definitive as Apple's own AST2 (Apple Service Toolkit) back bench diagnostic, but may kick out an error code.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

If you rule out hardware

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2022 4:28 AM in response to Raven_999

Raven_999 wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

you run the user Diagnostic...not as definitive as Apple's own AST2 (Apple Service Toolkit) back bench diagnostic, but may kick out an error code.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

If you rule out hardware

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Feb 17, 2022 4:22 AM in response to Raven_999

As you suspect it was caused by a power surge, I think it's unlikely you will be able to resolve this yourself in terms of software. There is a very real chance some hardware was fried in that event. Your only hope will be to get it inspected by Apple. I recommend backing it up ASAP so you don't lose any data. If you have the spare time, you could possibly try factory resetting it or reinstalling macOS, but I think this is a hardware issue here. Sorry to hear this happened to you!

M1 Max Macbook Pro video/audio issues after power surge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.