Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BT and Norton

Hi, I use BT for broadband and also a name@bt.com email address. Bt have issued a letter saying they are updating their online security to Norton, replacing McAfee. I found McAfee slowed the computer terribly so I uninstalled it. Apple advised that their built-in security is so good that an extra software package is not necessary , but if I really wanted to add some software security then they recommended Malwarebytes, which I installed a few years ago and which doesn't seem to slow the machine at all. Should I now try and add Norton or just ignore BT's letter and carry on with Malwarebytes. I am running an iMac and MacBookPro both on the latest Mojave issue. Thanks in advance for your advice.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 6:18 AM

I second dialabrain's recommendation. The last time I put Norton on my computer, it took me a whole day to fix things. Admittedly, that was a long time ago but, as it's unnecessary, why risk it for no benefit?

Also, you don't really even need to leave Malwarebytes running all the time. I download the free version once a year or so to run a scan if I think something might be wrong. Then, I delete it when I'm done.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2022 6:18 AM in response to rogerfromlittleborough

I second dialabrain's recommendation. The last time I put Norton on my computer, it took me a whole day to fix things. Admittedly, that was a long time ago but, as it's unnecessary, why risk it for no benefit?

Also, you don't really even need to leave Malwarebytes running all the time. I download the free version once a year or so to run a scan if I think something might be wrong. Then, I delete it when I'm done.

Feb 17, 2022 6:59 AM in response to rogerfromlittleborough

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac 

This will include BitDefender 

This will included Norton Antivirus

Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus

McAfee

MacKeeper

Avast AntiViru 

Ad Guard

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

BT and Norton

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.