Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to use Knoppix to examine troubled MacbookPro hard disk, won't let me use a different startup disk

Following onto the discussion at "Recovery stuck on "examining volumes" , I've tried to follow all the steps HWTech outlines to have Knoppix allow a look at the hard drive.

I got as far as opening the EPI drive, but the computer says I can't use a different startup hard drive without going into Recovery mode first. Of course, I have the endless "examining volumes" problem that led me to Knoppix in the first place, so that is not an option.

I do see an option to connect to another Mac using a Thunderbolt cable, and setting up the Macbook Pro as a target disk, but my older Mac Mini doesn't have the Thunderbolt 3 or 4 style of connector.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 10:39 AM

There are two possibilities here. One is the partition table or file system on the SSD is damaged, or the SSD is failing. If you have a T2 Mac and the partition table or file system is damaged, then "Restoring" the firmware should solve the problem, but it will destroy all the data on the SSD.

If the SSD is failing, then you will need to have the laptop repaired. If you have the MBPro 13" (2017) non-touchbar model, then it may qualify for a free SSD repair program. I have discovered that the SSD on any of these 2016-2017 non-touchbar models have a much higher rate of failure even if they do not qualify for the free repair program.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media which contains important and unique data. It is impossible to recover accidentally deleted data after the Trash has been emptied plus an SSD can fail at any time without any warning signs (even a brand new SSD). With a 2018+ Mac with a security enclave there are a lot more ways to lose data because the data is hardware encrypted on the SSD and requires a working Logic Board and good uncorrupted security enclave chip.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2022 10:39 AM in response to JayzeVo

There are two possibilities here. One is the partition table or file system on the SSD is damaged, or the SSD is failing. If you have a T2 Mac and the partition table or file system is damaged, then "Restoring" the firmware should solve the problem, but it will destroy all the data on the SSD.

If the SSD is failing, then you will need to have the laptop repaired. If you have the MBPro 13" (2017) non-touchbar model, then it may qualify for a free SSD repair program. I have discovered that the SSD on any of these 2016-2017 non-touchbar models have a much higher rate of failure even if they do not qualify for the free repair program.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media which contains important and unique data. It is impossible to recover accidentally deleted data after the Trash has been emptied plus an SSD can fail at any time without any warning signs (even a brand new SSD). With a 2018+ Mac with a security enclave there are a lot more ways to lose data because the data is hardware encrypted on the SSD and requires a working Logic Board and good uncorrupted security enclave chip.

Feb 19, 2022 7:41 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks a ton HWTech, I was hoping you would reply.

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R instead of just local Recovery Mode which may not work if the internal SSD has a problem. Also if this is an Intel Mac, then try a PRAM Reset (hold it for two chimes).

Was able to attempt a PRAM Reset. And I was able to get into Internet Recovery Mode, and after some time, ended up with the perpetual notification "Examining Volumes."

You can use a USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter along with an older style Thunderbolt cable to connect the USB-C Mac to an older Mac which has an older style Thunderbolt port.

If this Mac is a 2018+ Mac with a T2 security chip, then you can try "Reviving" the T2 firmware (should not be data destructive, but if something goes wrong it could cause data loss). The "Restore" of the T2 firmware option is a last resort if nothing else works. If a "Restore" of the T2 firmware does not work/help, then you will need to have the laptop repaired.
Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support

I appreciate this advise! I am not sure which of the possible next steps to take:

• send in for repair
  • get a new Mac Mini running Big Sur or Monterey (my current one is Mojave)
  • and try your Revive or Restore option.

Will ponder this a bit.

Feb 17, 2022 8:34 PM in response to JayzeVo

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R instead of just local Recovery Mode which may not work if the internal SSD has a problem. Also if this is an Intel Mac, then try a PRAM Reset (hold it for two chimes).

Unfortunately Linux is not well supported with the USB-C Macs. I have not yet tried Knoppix v9.x so I don't know how it will even work with a USB-C Mac. Knoppix will only work with Intel Macs. Linux works fine for most 2007 to 2015 Macs.

You can use a USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter along with an older style Thunderbolt cable to connect the USB-C Mac to an older Mac which has an older style Thunderbolt port.

If this Mac is a 2018+ Mac with a T2 security chip, then you can try "Reviving" the T2 firmware (should not be data destructive, but if something goes wrong it could cause data loss). The "Restore" of the T2 firmware option is a last resort if nothing else works. If a "Restore" of the T2 firmware does not work/help, then you will need to have the laptop repaired.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support

Feb 25, 2022 10:29 AM in response to HWTech

OK after the arrival of a new Mac Mini and several days of work, your suggestions worked well HWTech.

I went through Revive and then Restore (yes this has a T2 chip) and now have a fresh copy of Monterey installed.

Thanks so much for saving me the aggravation of dealing with Apple on this!

Now I'm going to restore. my files.

Was so happy to see the OS loaded up this morning:

Feb 21, 2022 8:06 AM in response to HWTech

I think I am in decent shape here with a full Carbon Copy Cloner backup just before the MBP (16" 2019) got REALLY janky, as well as an earlier manual backup of the main Documents folder.

I've ordered an open box Mac Mini (2020) to try the Revive and Restore option later this week, hopefully.

I do recall a power outage here right around when Monterey came out, having read the documentation for Revive and Restore, that *may* be the culprit here -- a power outage during an update? As well as mini-outages and some possible brownouts after that.

It looks like as well, there may be a free keyboard repair available for the MBP 2019, and I was noticing some difficulty with the correct keystrokes getting recorded. So I may end up needing an Apple Repair for that.

Again, thank you for your patient explanation.

Trying to use Knoppix to examine troubled MacbookPro hard disk, won't let me use a different startup disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.