Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is StickiesDatabase on an external drive?

I can find StickiesDatabase on my internal drive (in Finder's Go menu, press Option to reveal Library - this contains the database), but how can I access StickiesDatabase (which contains Stickes I need) on an external hard drive? Spotlight is not able to reveal the file, but it's there somewhere, since the drive contains a bootable copy of the contents of another Mac.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 1:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 7:37 AM

It would likely be:

/Volumes/extdrive/Users/username/Library/Containers/com.apple.stickies/Data/Library/Stickies/

Each Stickie is an individual binary RTFD (directory) that is located in that last Stickies folder. Within each is a TXT.rtf stickie file.

14 replies

Feb 18, 2022 4:22 AM in response to willywonty

If the StickiesDatabase on that external drive is from Mojave or earlier, it will be in an incompatible format to be read on Catalina or later. When upgrading from Mojave to a later operating system, the upgrade will automatically convert the older format to the current format. The old StickiesDatabase is in digest format (all the stickies in one file) and the new implementation is separate RTFD Stickie files in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.stickies hierarchy.

Feb 18, 2022 6:41 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

In the Finder by pressing Command-Shift-Period, you can toggle the display of hidden files.

Thank you, that did the trick of revealing the hidden StickiesDatabase in my external hard disk. But now my question is: can I simply copy and paste that file into my Mac, do a restart and expect to find the Stickies of the other Mac? I ask, because I have just done that and there has been no change in the Stickies on my Mac.

Feb 18, 2022 6:42 AM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

If the StickiesDatabase on that external drive is from Mojave or earlier, it will be in an incompatible format to be read on Catalina or later. When upgrading from Mojave to a later operating system, the upgrade will automatically convert the older format to the current format. The old StickiesDatabase is in digest format (all the stickies in one file) and the new implementation is separate RTFD Stickie files in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.stickies hierarchy.

Thanks, but both sets of Sticks are 11.6 (Big Sur)

Feb 18, 2022 7:28 AM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

TBH I'm giving up! I cannot for the life of me find that path in my external drive, even by revealing the hidden files.

Feb 18, 2022 2:04 PM in response to VikingOSX

@VikingOSX

That did the trick. I followed your path to the letter, got there and was able to retrieve the data I wanted. Many thanks indeed.

Two observations:

The path was actually /Volumes/extdrive/Users/username/Library/Containers/Stickies/Data/Library/Stickies/

rather than:

/Volumes/extdrive/Users/username/Library/Containers/com.apple.stickies/Data/Library/Stickies/

and for the last four folders I had to Get Info each time and switch the privileges to Read and Write.

Have a good weekend. I know I will.

Where is StickiesDatabase on an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.