Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Issue

Time Machine Issue

Time Capsule is working great with a MacBook Pro (late 2013) running Big Sur 11.6.4  Another MacBook Pro (late 2013) running Big Sur 11.6.4 will not back up to the Airport Time Capsule, although it had been working for several years.  The Time Capsule is running version 7.9.1  Previous backups can be accessed and the Time Capsule is visible is visible in the AirPort Utility. When a backup was started the message indicated the drive was not available. Deleted the disk from the Time Machine Preferences thinking adding it back would be the solution. But now the Time Machine preferences can not see the disk to add it back. Any ideas on why one MacBook is working well with the Time Capsule and the other is not? Or how to add the Time Capsule back to Time Machine Preferences? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 10:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 6:37 AM

Disk Utility is virtually useless with a Time Capsule. it can display the sparsebundle file......."Time Machine Backups" in your case......but it cannot display the actual hard drive......."Data" in your case, so Disk Utility is not going to tell us anything really useful about the actual hard drive on the Time Capsule.

In other words, since Disk Utility cannot display any information about "Data", it cannot run diagnostics like First Aid on "Data" to see if there might be a physical problem with the Time Capsule hard drive. Disk Utility also cannot erase or format "Data".

Here is what is happening when you try to run a backup:

Your Mac's hard drive.....running Big Sur......is formatted in APFS

The Time Capsule hard drive....."Data"......is formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Time Machine tries to create a sparsebundle file (which is formatted in APFS) on "Data" (which is formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled). It's complicated.

Things were much simpler when the hard drive in your Mac and the hard drive in the Time Capsule were formatted the same.

A guess would be that the sparsebundle file......"Time Machine Backups"......was not created correctly, because of the added complications with disk formats on the Mac and the Time Capsule so backups cannot run.

My suggestion would be to open up "Data" and manually delete "Time Machine Backups", then try to run a new backup again. Time Machine will try to create a new sparsebundle file on the Time Capsule when this occurs.

I don't know if this will solve the issue, because I have not experienced the issue that you are describing.

Now, if you are saying that you can still open up Time Machine and see older backups for the Mac........while you are being told that there are no backups on the Time Capsule for your Mac.......then I'm still confused. Can't explain that one.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2022 6:37 AM in response to MikeM_Farrier

Disk Utility is virtually useless with a Time Capsule. it can display the sparsebundle file......."Time Machine Backups" in your case......but it cannot display the actual hard drive......."Data" in your case, so Disk Utility is not going to tell us anything really useful about the actual hard drive on the Time Capsule.

In other words, since Disk Utility cannot display any information about "Data", it cannot run diagnostics like First Aid on "Data" to see if there might be a physical problem with the Time Capsule hard drive. Disk Utility also cannot erase or format "Data".

Here is what is happening when you try to run a backup:

Your Mac's hard drive.....running Big Sur......is formatted in APFS

The Time Capsule hard drive....."Data"......is formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Time Machine tries to create a sparsebundle file (which is formatted in APFS) on "Data" (which is formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled). It's complicated.

Things were much simpler when the hard drive in your Mac and the hard drive in the Time Capsule were formatted the same.

A guess would be that the sparsebundle file......"Time Machine Backups"......was not created correctly, because of the added complications with disk formats on the Mac and the Time Capsule so backups cannot run.

My suggestion would be to open up "Data" and manually delete "Time Machine Backups", then try to run a new backup again. Time Machine will try to create a new sparsebundle file on the Time Capsule when this occurs.

I don't know if this will solve the issue, because I have not experienced the issue that you are describing.

Now, if you are saying that you can still open up Time Machine and see older backups for the Mac........while you are being told that there are no backups on the Time Capsule for your Mac.......then I'm still confused. Can't explain that one.

Feb 19, 2022 6:43 AM in response to MikeM_Farrier

Please power off the Time Capsule

Power off the Mac that is working correctly with Time Machine

Restart the Mac that is having difficulty

Power up the Time Capsule and let it run for a minute or two

If you open AirPort Utility on your Mac.......(Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility)......does the Time Capsule appear?

If no, post back to let us know that it does not appear

If yes, click on the Time Capsule in AirPort Utility and then click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click on the Disks tab at the top of the next window

Does the Time Capsule disk......named "Data" unless you have changed the name of the disk.......appear?

At this point, you can restart the Mac that was not having problems.

Feb 19, 2022 8:43 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Verify backups runs and ends without any type of error message. Then it begins preparing a backup and ends without doing the backup. Current status is the Disk Utility shows the Time Capsule as mounted with 2.21 TB available. Airport Utility shows the Time Capsule with 2.21 TB available. Time Machine Preferences indicates Oldest Backup None and Latest Backup None, Waiting to complete . Mounting, Unmounting, and Mounting the Time Capsule may have removed access to the backups? Just to confirm the Time Capsule is functioning, I booted up the other MacBook Pro and it successfully started and completed a backup. A little progress since the Time machine software sees the Time Capsule and the disk is visible in the Disk Utility. When a backup is started, Time Machine Preferences says it is preparing the backup - then a pop up message "Try Backing up again when Michael's Airport Time Capsule is available. Time for a break and to look at it again with a fresh start. Maybe reset the Time Capsule to Factory settings and start completely from scratch?

Feb 19, 2022 1:30 AM in response to MikeM_Farrier

Many a slip betwixt the cup and the lip with Big Sur..

Especially with old tech device like a Time Capsule.

Mount the TC in Finder on the computer having issues.. if it refuses to mount.. use Go, Connect to Server in Finder and put in

smb://TCnetworkname which should then be followed by asking you for username and password.

Alternatively use smb://10.0.1.1 or whatever IP address the TC has. Get the IP from airport utility on whichever Mac it works from.

Tell me if you cannot get the TC disk to mount.

Once mounted in Finder it is usually no problem to select it in Time Machine preferences. Tell me if you have trouble with this step.

It will also be helpful to know the network setup. Is the TC main router or bridged?

How does each Mac connect to the network and the TC?

If the TC is bridged and you connect to the main router wifi a lot can go wrong.

Plus it can be very flakey .. working one day and not the next. Reboots often help for brief periods but there is more to do to fix things if the network has gotten complicated with non-apple main router.

Feb 19, 2022 2:08 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks! Almost there. I can see the Time Capsule in the Disk Utility now. And the TC can be accessed by "Enter Time Machine" so I can see previous backups. The TC presents itself as waiting for the initial/first backup when trying to start a backup. It starts with Looking for Backup disk, then Preparing Backup, then Stopping. I'll try ejecting the TC and mounting it again. When mounting using Finder I used the IP address only. Leaving smb:// off may have created a different issue.

Feb 19, 2022 3:29 PM in response to MikeM_Farrier

The TC presents itself as waiting for the initial/first backup when trying to start a backup. It starts with Looking for Backup disk, then Preparing Backup, then Stopping.

Let's take things a step at a time.

The TC presents itself as waiting for the initial/first backup

Confusing......since this would not be true if you can access previous backups, since that tells you that Time Machine has backed up previously for this Mac and you mentioned that you can see and access previous backups.

The Time Machine software stopped being able to locate the disk

Confusing again.....since you told us that Time Machine can access previous backups and it goes into a "Preparing" mode. This would not be possible if it could not find the disk.

If Time Machine can find the disk......it can, according to your information.....and it starts "Preparing".....and then stops, this is almost always an indication that your backup file on the Time Capsule has become corrupted. When this occurs, you can access "old" backups, but new backups will not run. That seems to be what you are telling us here.

To take a look at the integrity of the current backup file to check for corruption.......

Hold down the option key on your Mac while you click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Click on Verify Backups

You can watch the status of the integrity check by clicking on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the screen and then clicking on Open Time Machine Preferences. This display will look similar to a normal backup, but you will see that a Verification process is underway.

The Verify Backups process might take anywhere from a few minutes to more than an hour depending on how much data is stored in the backup file. Let the process run until it completes.....or.....until you see an error message.

Please post back when you see that the process has completed. If an error message appears, please post back with the exact text of the message.

Feb 23, 2022 11:52 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for all of your guidance. Each step seemed closer with the error messages changing. Manually deleting the TM Backups wasn't successful. Deleted all of the data on the Time Capsule using the AirPort Utility and selected the TimeCapsule through the Time Machine Utility as a new setup. Everything is functioning properly. Both MacBooks are backing up to the Time Capsule with each initial backup being a full backup. Thanks again!

Time Machine Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.