Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport time capsule won't mont a drive

Guys, I finally moved from Mojave (10.14.6) to Monetery (MacOS 12.4) and my Time Machine backup, a 4TB USB external connected to an Airport time capsule, was not recognized as a backup. I erased the drive, formatted it as APFS, and returned it to the ATC. The drive no longer mounts. Neither did an earlier time machine backup that used to be mounted there. I rest the ARC, tried the Aiposrt utility (ATC->EDIT-> Disk) but it is pretty helpless,

The firmware on the Capsule is 7.9.1, the MacBook is a 4tb loaded intel 2018 box with 32gb Ram. what can I do to force my time capsule to mount the external USB drive?

Thanks...

Rafi

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 9:55 AM

Thank for your reply! first things first: the HFS+ old back did not mount either, but I will give it a try- reformatting to HFS+ and connecting. I do have a backup that I connect to my lap top but having a wireless one working in the background was alloys a good strategy. Until I upgraded..

I am not sure that my computer if APFS- not even sure how to check I did not reformat when I upgraded to Monterey, adding to the complexity.

Is it not likely that data is backed up without regard to the format they are in?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2022 9:55 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank for your reply! first things first: the HFS+ old back did not mount either, but I will give it a try- reformatting to HFS+ and connecting. I do have a backup that I connect to my lap top but having a wireless one working in the background was alloys a good strategy. Until I upgraded..

I am not sure that my computer if APFS- not even sure how to check I did not reformat when I upgraded to Monterey, adding to the complexity.

Is it not likely that data is backed up without regard to the format they are in?

Jun 26, 2022 7:11 PM in response to RKopan

If you are saying that the 4TB external is connected to the USB port on the Time Capsule, the only way that this will possibly work is if the external is formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) aka HFS+.

A drive formatted in APFS will not be recognized by the Time Capsule.....designed in 2013 long before APFS was around.

I do not recommend that you try this though. Time Machine has to try to take the data on the Mac (formatted in APFS) and back up to the external (which is formatted in HFS+).

Gosh, I wonder what could possibly go wrong with this extra complexity.

Things would be tons better if you could connect the external directly to your Mac. Then, the APFS formatted Mac will back up to the external formatted the same way. (Actually, it will be APFS Case Sensitive), but that is for more discussion.

Jun 27, 2022 10:07 AM in response to RKopan

Remember that the USB port is an old and slow USB 2.0 design, which also happens to be significantly underpowered. Some newer USB 3.0 hard drives may not be compatible with the older USB design on the Time Capsule, which remains unchanged since 2013.

Most of the time, if I want to use a USB drive with the Time Capsule (or AirPort Extreme), I need to use a powered USB hub.....even if the hard drive has its own power supply.

If you are running Big Sur or Monterey on your Mac, the hard drive inside the Mac was formatted in APFS as part of the installation.

See the Macintosh HD icon on your Mac's screen? Right-Click on it, then select Get Info. Look for the Format in the next window that appears. APFS will appear there.

Jun 27, 2022 10:52 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks again- since my work computer is older (still running high sierra) and is formatted APFS, I assume my personal computer does as well. Will check when I get home. I am aware of the power and speed issue, and willing to suffer for the added security of a duplicate backup not reliant on my remembering to plug one in. I wish apple would update their airport extreme, but my wishes seem to not have much impact. Can you think of a modern wireless alternative?

Thanks again for the help!

Rafi

Jun 27, 2022 11:04 AM in response to RKopan

The AirPorts wee all discontinued in April 2018, so I doubt that Apple will ever "update" them.

The Time Capsule was a unique product in that it combined a wireless router and a hard drive in one package. No one else offered this type of product.

The AirPort Extreme would allow you connect a USB port and perform essentially the same tasks as a Time Capsule, but at slower speeds.

There are a few routers that will allow you to connect a USB drive and perform Time Machine backups. Synology is one brand, the others are the upper end Asus routers.

Airport time capsule won't mont a drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.