Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verifying Application.app

What is happening when a non-Apple app is opened and a status bar comes up that says "Verifying ‘xxx.app‘ " before the app opens? And what happens if I close the status bar window before it finishes verifying? Will the app not open? (I haven't tried this)

I assume there's some security verification process going on, since it has the Security & Privacy icon in that status bar window, but I'd like to know more about it. Seems to happen only after a restart, but happens with the same apps repeatedly (MS office, Adobe CC apps).

iMac 27″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 10:08 AM

Apple runs a verification process on each of your apps when it is installed to ensure it’s notarized and free of potentially damaging malware. After an app is verified, it should add that app to a whitelist so it doesn’t need to repeat the verification. When new versions of the app are installed, the verification will occur again. Microsoft and Adobe frequently update their software, especially if you have the auto update option active. After each time a new version is installed, the verification step will occur again.

If your Mac is verifying even when a new version has not been installed, you could clear out caches -- boot into safe mode (which takes much longer than a normal boot). The process for safe mode boot is different for M1 versus Intel Macs, Apple has instructions

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

After booting into safe mode, restart normally. If the problem persists, try booting into Recovery (COMMAND-R hold down when starting up) and then run Disk Utility to repair the disk, starting at the lowest level and working up to the container and then the full device. Restart normally and see if the problem persists.

Make sure that you do not have any "clean up," anti-virus, security, I/O traffic monitoring software/tools installed or running on your Mac. These can interfere with the Mac's built in security processes.

If still problematic, you can completely uninstall and remove the software which is excessively being "verified." Use the vendor's uninstaller if possible, but completely remove it. Then reinstall and see if it is behaving normally. Make sure your MacOS is at the latest version, which is today 12.2.1.

If still not working properly, download Etrecheck, run it with full disk access, and post the results (output) here using the "Additional text" button below that looks like a sheet of paper with the top right corner folded down. That Etrecheck output may reveal something that could be causing the problem.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2022 10:08 AM in response to FH678

Apple runs a verification process on each of your apps when it is installed to ensure it’s notarized and free of potentially damaging malware. After an app is verified, it should add that app to a whitelist so it doesn’t need to repeat the verification. When new versions of the app are installed, the verification will occur again. Microsoft and Adobe frequently update their software, especially if you have the auto update option active. After each time a new version is installed, the verification step will occur again.

If your Mac is verifying even when a new version has not been installed, you could clear out caches -- boot into safe mode (which takes much longer than a normal boot). The process for safe mode boot is different for M1 versus Intel Macs, Apple has instructions

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

After booting into safe mode, restart normally. If the problem persists, try booting into Recovery (COMMAND-R hold down when starting up) and then run Disk Utility to repair the disk, starting at the lowest level and working up to the container and then the full device. Restart normally and see if the problem persists.

Make sure that you do not have any "clean up," anti-virus, security, I/O traffic monitoring software/tools installed or running on your Mac. These can interfere with the Mac's built in security processes.

If still problematic, you can completely uninstall and remove the software which is excessively being "verified." Use the vendor's uninstaller if possible, but completely remove it. Then reinstall and see if it is behaving normally. Make sure your MacOS is at the latest version, which is today 12.2.1.

If still not working properly, download Etrecheck, run it with full disk access, and post the results (output) here using the "Additional text" button below that looks like a sheet of paper with the top right corner folded down. That Etrecheck output may reveal something that could be causing the problem.

Feb 19, 2022 9:39 AM in response to FH678

FH678 wrote:

What is happening when a non-Apple app is opened and a status bar comes up that says "Verifying ‘xxx.app‘ " before the app opens? And what happens if I close the status bar window before it finishes verifying? Will the app not open? (I haven't tried this)

I assume there's some security verification process going on, since it has the Security & Privacy icon in that status bar window, but I'd like to know more about it. Seems to happen only after a restart, but happens with the same apps repeatedly (MS office, Adobe CC apps).

old issue, new issue, what changed..?

See if you need to add these apps to Full Disk Access folder

>System Preferences>Security& Privacy>Privacy>Full Disk Access

Controlling app access to files in macOS - Apple Support

Feb 19, 2022 10:18 AM in response to steve626

Thanks. This is the information I was looking for. To answer a question from leroydouglas above, this has been going on for a year or two and I just now decided to ask about it.

As far as I can recall, it has occurred only for MS Office and Adobe apps, and the auto update is probably the issue here rather than a computer restart. It happens now and then with one app or another, maybe once every couple weeks or longer. Not a real problem, just a minor nuisance waiting for the verification to finish and open the app.

Verifying Application.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.