Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Time Machine say it doesn't have enough space for a backup? Doesn't it delete older backups?

I have a 1TB LaCie external drive that I've been using for Time Machine for a little over a year. Currently the backup fails because "The backup disk needs 83.92 GB for the backup but only 50.14 GB are available." I thought that Time Machine would delete older backups to make room for new ones. Why doesn't it do that to make enough room on this drive?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 9:15 AM

Although Time Machine will periodically remove old content, it does not suddenly wholesale purge as must storage as necessary to fulfill a backup that is too large to fit on remaining storage. With only 50GB left on your Time Machine drive, you need a larger replacement drive as this has become a planning issue to continue reliable backups.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2022 9:15 AM in response to jmswisher

Although Time Machine will periodically remove old content, it does not suddenly wholesale purge as must storage as necessary to fulfill a backup that is too large to fit on remaining storage. With only 50GB left on your Time Machine drive, you need a larger replacement drive as this has become a planning issue to continue reliable backups.

Why does Time Machine say it doesn't have enough space for a backup? Doesn't it delete older backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.