Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is time machine not completing backups because "there is not enough space on the hard drive"? i thought time machine would automatically delete the oldest backups when the disk was running out of space?

why is time machine not completing backups because "there is not enough space on the hard drive"? i thought time machine would automatically delete the oldest backups when the disk was running out of space?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 4:10 PM

You are correct however Time Machine is not perfect (what is?) and from time to time does not have enough space. The only thing to do is erase and start over or get a larger capacity External Hard Disk.

5 replies

Apr 26, 2022 12:11 PM in response to buckrogers ramjet

Here is what that message may mean:

1. Your startup drive is nearly out of space and Time Machine hasn't sufficient temporary space to perform the current backup.
  2. Your Time Machine drive may be low on remaining storage, or the content that Time Machine would earmark for removal to make room for your backup is insufficient to meet that new backup storage requirement.

Mar 13, 2022 10:56 AM in response to buckrogers ramjet

It is interesting to me that this same issue seems to come up on this forum quite often and so far I have not seen a clear answer to the issue. My feeling is that Time Machine is an ok app, but it has its limitations. Such as the fact that it does not backup email messages. I much prefer Carbon Copy Cloner for a backup app. It is reliable, easy to use and has a lot of features not found in Time Machine.

Mar 13, 2022 4:00 PM in response to Ronasara

Not true! First these forums are like a hospital so coming here to check the overall heath would give you false representations. I have used Time Machine for about 15 years, in those 15 years I had the above occur once! The solution was simple, overall Time Machine is extremely stable and reliable and like any app and I mean ANY app it can have quirks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.