Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari stalls forever when opening

I updated macOS Monterey to version 12.2.1 on February 6th. Since then, Safari stalls on open, never loading a page until I finally get tired of waiting and force quit "Safari is not responding." Since my software is up to date, I don't see how to install a new version of Safari. I would really like to keep my bookmarks.

I have restarted, completely shut down, restarted my modem, waited for Dropbox and Adobe CC to fully load and update before opening Safari. No success. Google Chrome works fine.

Is there a solution?

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 1:05 PM

1. Quit Safari, launch Safari holding the Shift key down.

About pop-up ads and windows in Safari - Apple Support

2. Startup in Safe Mode. https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/start-up-your-mac-in-safe-mode-mh21245/mac.

Quote:

It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility.

And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and

the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

3. Clear History

Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Please read the article before clearing history,

this is like a low level resetting of Safari without affecting passwords and bookmarks.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2022 1:05 PM in response to Painterdalej

1. Quit Safari, launch Safari holding the Shift key down.

About pop-up ads and windows in Safari - Apple Support

2. Startup in Safe Mode. https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/start-up-your-mac-in-safe-mode-mh21245/mac.

Quote:

It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility.

And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and

the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

3. Clear History

Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Please read the article before clearing history,

this is like a low level resetting of Safari without affecting passwords and bookmarks.

Feb 20, 2022 2:49 PM in response to dominic23

Thank you!

As you suggested, I opened Safari while holding Shift key and it opened quickly without issue. I then cleared history, closed Safari and opened it again without holding Shift key. I visited a couple of websites just to check functionality and all seems good so far. I also checked through Preferences to make sure there wasn't a new extension or other setting I wasn't aware of. (I also read the links you provided.)

Safari stalls forever when opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.