Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a LaCie External Hard Drive with a USBC port on a 2014 Mac Book Pro with USB 2?

I'm looking for a new external hard drive to back up my 2014 Mac Book Pro. Most of the drives I find online use a USBC or USB3 connection. My laptop has an older USB2 connection. Is there an adapter I can use to connect the drive? If so, will it work correctly without much issues?

I'm not super concerned with speed of data transfer - doesn't need to be lightning fast!

Thanks!

A

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 3:30 PM

Apple does not choose to use the "Blue insert" convention to designate USB-3.

MacBook Pro from mid-2012 onward have USB 3 ports or better.

to run a USB-C drive, all one needs is a cheap adapter, USB-A to USB-C. Some are sold on Amazon as cheap as two for US$10. Be sure to get the sexes the right way around, as both types are available.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2022 3:30 PM in response to aspransy

Apple does not choose to use the "Blue insert" convention to designate USB-3.

MacBook Pro from mid-2012 onward have USB 3 ports or better.

to run a USB-C drive, all one needs is a cheap adapter, USB-A to USB-C. Some are sold on Amazon as cheap as two for US$10. Be sure to get the sexes the right way around, as both types are available.

Can I use a LaCie External Hard Drive with a USBC port on a 2014 Mac Book Pro with USB 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.