Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need guidance regarding passwords and IDs

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me where I can find an idiots guide to passwords and id's please. So far I have found out that my 'admin' id is the same as my 'log in' id, but this isn't the same as my Apple id. Also there is a keychain which I don't understand at all (is this where my 'admin' and 'log-in' id is stored?)

Any advice in laymans terms would be appreciated. For information I only use a MacBook, so no need to share across multiple devices, etc.

Thanks,

Blitz

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 4:41 AM

The User ID and Password is an Account the User created How to create a new Apple ID

Manage and use your Apple ID

The Computer Password was created when the computer was First Setup when it was new. Generally, this is not the same password as the Apple ID password.

7 replies

Feb 20, 2022 4:57 AM in response to Blitz Spirit

Your user account on the Mac has an account name and password.

Your keychain stores passwords for other types of accounts, like email accounts, websites, software licenses, etc.

It also stores the certificates needed to securely connect to websites or other certificate-based logins.

With keychain, you only need to remember your user account password in order to unlock other accounts on the internet.

An AppleID is used to log into iCloud and to purchase apps and content from the Mac App Store and the iTunes Store.

Feb 20, 2022 7:49 AM in response to Blitz Spirit

A brief overview for you -

On a Mac there is always at least one user account. The first such user account got created when you installed your Mac the first time you turned it on. That first user account is always an admin account because it has administrative privileges on your Mac. In System Preferences > Users & Groups you can create more users; if you give them administrative privileges they are also admin users; if not they are regular users that do not have administrative privileges.

Every user account on a Mac has an account id that you use to log onto your Mac; generically it's called a login id and every user account on your Mac has one. And of course since your user account is an admin account you could call your "login id" an "admin id."

Your Apple ID is a different thing. It is independent of user id's on your Mac but you can associate it with one or more of the user ids on your Mac. Your Apple ID enables you to install macOS, updates and upgrades; sync photos, music and other info between your Mac and other Apple devices you may own (other Macs, iPhones, iPads, etc); use iCloud; purchase, download & install apps from the Mac App Store; purchase music, movies & TV shows from Apple; access Apple Communities and more.

The Keychain is a database on your Mac where the system stores your various id's, passwords and other system information. Normally you do not need to do anything with the Keychain and it's advisable not to go poking around in it unless you have a thorough understanding of the Keychain and how your Mac uses it.

Need guidance regarding passwords and IDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.