Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access photos on old backup - due to storage on new mac

Hi, my macbook pro recently broke down (500GB) and since then i've been renting a newer one (150GB)

Luckily I managed to backup everything before that. I've basically used most of the 500GB storage. Since the newer mac is smaller in storage (150GB), I can't restore the entirety of my old backup, therefore choosing only important documents to be used on the new mac.

The issue:

I want to gain access to my photo albums, in the photos app, but it's like 80GB, so it's impossible to open it on the new mac, and of course you can't just "open" the files within it, on the external hard drive. I really need access to the photos in this app. Is there any way about, doing so? What I really want to do is, gain access to the photos, so I can take them out, and put them into proper albums (that are not in the photos app) Can I extract them someway, without having to buy a mac computer with 500GB, just to reopen the photos app?

Any help is much appreciated

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 9:15 AM

Get another external HD and restore the photo Library to that.

Similar questions

1 reply

Can't access photos on old backup - due to storage on new mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.