Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to best determine if emulation (Rosetta) is in use for a given application?

I've read numerous post, some conflicting, with respect to the removal of Rosetta which isn't pre-installed with MacBook Pro but used by Adobe for the universal installer in my case for example. Instead of deleting how best to ascertain if emulation is being used for any app running? I'm assuming via Activity Monitor but is there any specific tagging to look for?

Thank you in advance for any insight

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 7:51 AM

garyjfk wrote:

I've read numerous post, some conflicting, with respect to the removal of Rosetta which isn't pre-installed with MacBook Pro but used by Adobe for the universal installer in my case for example. Instead of deleting how best to ascertain if emulation is being used for any app running? I'm assuming via Activity Monitor but is there any specific tagging to look for?

Look at the Get Info pane... Command i will open this.

ref:

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2022 7:51 AM in response to garyjfk

garyjfk wrote:

Look at the Get Info pane... Command i will open this.

ref:

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac - Apple Support

Feb 20, 2022 10:31 AM in response to garyjfk

garyjfk wrote:

Thank you I was unaware of this checkbox but I see it is applicable to only a few Apple programs and not generic across all executables. I did a bit more of a review and found the "Kind" attribute within the Activity Monitor. I believe this is telling me what I was looking for at runtime. I can only come to the conclusion that if Kind = Intel that must be via emulation whilst I'm running ARM hardware.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/e7daa952-9645-4bc1-b5b9-a3a3b9940637

If anyone could confirm that would be appreciated.
Thank you.

That sounds right.

An Intel Mac does not include the "Kind" option.

Feb 20, 2022 10:21 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you I was unaware of this checkbox but I see it is applicable to only a few Apple programs and not generic across all executables. I did a bit more of a review and found the "Kind" attribute within the Activity Monitor. I believe this is telling me what I was looking for at runtime. I can only come to the conclusion that if Kind = Intel that must be via emulation whilst I'm running ARM hardware.

If anyone could confirm that would be appreciated.

Thank you.

How to best determine if emulation (Rosetta) is in use for a given application?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.