Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook charging cord smells like mold

Why is this still happening when it was reported as early as 2018!?! Over Christmas I bought 2 brand new MacBook Airs, and both charging cables smell like mold. It’s not a subtle smell — it’s super strong.

What is up with this Apple? Gross.

MacBook charging cord smells like mold - Apple Community

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 9:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I want Apple to fix the problem and replace the cord. The first experience with a new Apple product shouldn’t be moldy.

5 replies

Mar 29, 2022 9:47 PM in response to mikentalk

I bought a new MacBook Air with a toxic smell from the charging cable. Talked to Apple support, but they said that they had never heard of it... The stores know about it, since many customers are reporting the same problem. So after a week I got rid of the cable and bought a new one - with the same smell. Even people who normally are not very sensitive to smells say it's really bad. I got sick of being in the same room as the charger, the smell filled up the room. A week in open air didn't help.

MacBook charging cord smells like mold

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.