Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook charging cord smells like mold

I've recently bought a new Macbook Pro. And as soon I open the box I had i noticed a overwhelming smell of mold. I thought it was the packaging and that the smell would go away. I soon noticed it was the charging cord that had the smell. It's been three weeks and the smell hasn't gone. Can I get it replaced because it smells really bad. Wherever I set it down the smell follows.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 7, 2018 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2018 12:12 PM

So, I took the cable to the Apple Store a few weeks ago. The guy at the Genius Bar smelled it and immediately replaced it with one that did not have the smell. He said he had not heard of other complaints about this (though clearly it is happening to others).

Then my wife got a new MacBook Pro (different model and charger - mine is the 15" with the 87w charger and hers is the 13" with the 61w charger) and right out of the box her USB-C charging cable smells like mildew/mold too! She's going to take it to the Apple Store before the end of the week to exchange it.

This is really ridiculous. Kind of amazing that this happened to us twice over a couple of months. As a previous poster said, this is clearly a supply chain quality problem that Apple needs to address. I'm surprised that I haven't seen this issue talked about anywhere else on the web. Given the fact that it's happened to me twice, those of us on this thread can't possibly be the only ones experiencing this.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2018 12:12 PM in response to abarnard

So, I took the cable to the Apple Store a few weeks ago. The guy at the Genius Bar smelled it and immediately replaced it with one that did not have the smell. He said he had not heard of other complaints about this (though clearly it is happening to others).

Then my wife got a new MacBook Pro (different model and charger - mine is the 15" with the 87w charger and hers is the 13" with the 61w charger) and right out of the box her USB-C charging cable smells like mildew/mold too! She's going to take it to the Apple Store before the end of the week to exchange it.

This is really ridiculous. Kind of amazing that this happened to us twice over a couple of months. As a previous poster said, this is clearly a supply chain quality problem that Apple needs to address. I'm surprised that I haven't seen this issue talked about anywhere else on the web. Given the fact that it's happened to me twice, those of us on this thread can't possibly be the only ones experiencing this.

Mar 16, 2018 7:44 PM in response to brendaohdear

I just received my MacBook Pro today (3/16/18) and have exactly the same situation. Nothing else in the box smells of mold, only the power cable. At first I was concerned about water damage, but everything looks fine and the odor is definitely confined to the cable. I’m going to take the cable to the Apple Store and ask for a replacement.

Apr 16, 2018 9:30 AM in response to Dmillsedumedics.com

I did say earlier that I would mention the matter 'upstairs' ... and that I did. I'm told they will look into it and I'm sure they will, but these things take time; we could be talking about repackaging a large number of machines and who knows in how many countries. On the other hand it could a fairly local matter concerning a few warehouses. We shall see.

Apr 28, 2018 7:07 AM in response to brendaohdear

I received my MacBook Pro 15" on April 18th. As soon as I opened the box i was greeted with the same powerful moldy smell. As others have indicated, it was the power cable. I left mine out of my bag, only charging at home, because it contaminated my entire ThinkTank bag. I thought the oder would dissipate, but it has continued. I went to the Apple Store on April 27th to see if I could exchange the cable... which they did, but the new cable has the same disgusting smell. The store management would not open an additional box. So, like others, I'm stuck with a smelly cable until Apple decides to do something about it. Seems sad to spend $3k on a laptop and have this as a problem. Come on Apple..... send me a new non-moldy cable!

MacBook charging cord smells like mold

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.