Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access files on my external hard drive

All my files are on an external hard drive. It shows up in Disk Utility and on the desktop, but when I go into an application it doesn't show the hard drive, so in order to open anything I have to more it to desktop...royal pain.

Using MacBook Air 2020 iOS 12.2.1 500 GB storage

Hard drive is Seagate Backup Plus 4 TB, formatted APFS and is encrypted. I do not want unencrypted hard drives lying around. I do no want my files on the Mac itself.

How do I get my files on the hard drive to show up? it shouldn't be this hard!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 7:00 PM

Hi cjjj,

If the app(s) you use doesn't use a standard "open file" prompt, you might need to grant that app permission to see your external drive:

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. In System Preferences, select Security and Privacy -> Privacy, then select "Files and Folders".
  3. If the app appears in the list, and if the checkbox appears, make sure that the box is checked for Removable Volumes.
  4. If step 3 isn't possible, select the Full Disk Access category, and add the app to that list.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2022 7:00 PM in response to cjjj

Hi cjjj,

If the app(s) you use doesn't use a standard "open file" prompt, you might need to grant that app permission to see your external drive:

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. In System Preferences, select Security and Privacy -> Privacy, then select "Files and Folders".
  3. If the app appears in the list, and if the checkbox appears, make sure that the box is checked for Removable Volumes.
  4. If step 3 isn't possible, select the Full Disk Access category, and add the app to that list.

Can't access files on my external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.