Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID, fingerprint verification, and the redundancy of requiring a passcode as well

Is the second generation iPad Pro capable of using Face ID rather than using passcodes ? May I also ask if it is necessary to enter a passcode if the fingerprint verification is working ? It is somewhat annoying to have your fingerprint verification work then still be asked to enter your passcode or password. The same thing with regards to aiPhone 12.

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 15

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 1:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 2:01 AM

IPad Pro Second generation specs can be found here. it has FaceID.

iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation) - Technical Specifications

I am aware of no situations that require both FaceID + entering your passcode on iPhone 12 (or any Apple device I’ve used with either biometric type). If you are using the biometric scan then are required to enter the passcode, it is likely the biometric scan is not working and/or is not setup properly. Please refer here:

Use a passcode with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

From the document:

the situations that require a passcode [biometric will not be needed]

• Turn on or restart your device
  • Press the Home button or swipe up to unlock your device (you can change this)
  • Update your software
  • Erase your device
  • View or change passcode settings
  • Install iOS or iPadOS Configuration profiles

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2022 2:01 AM in response to RetiredInHelotes

IPad Pro Second generation specs can be found here. it has FaceID.

iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation) - Technical Specifications

I am aware of no situations that require both FaceID + entering your passcode on iPhone 12 (or any Apple device I’ve used with either biometric type). If you are using the biometric scan then are required to enter the passcode, it is likely the biometric scan is not working and/or is not setup properly. Please refer here:

Use a passcode with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

From the document:

the situations that require a passcode [biometric will not be needed]

• Turn on or restart your device
  • Press the Home button or swipe up to unlock your device (you can change this)
  • Update your software
  • Erase your device
  • View or change passcode settings
  • Install iOS or iPadOS Configuration profiles

Feb 21, 2022 3:18 PM in response to Tim_4_All

I was responding to Tim’s answer to my question which really wasn’t answered because first of all I said that my iPad was a second generation iPad Pro whereas his answer referred to the 11.9-inch second generation iPad Pro. Also, his comments included erasing my iPad Pro. Bet Hey wait a minute, I don’t want to lose important data. He didn’t even address that!

Face ID, fingerprint verification, and the redundancy of requiring a passcode as well

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.