Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does copied text disappear from my clipboard?

Whenever I copy text to my clipboard, intending to use the text later, it will disappear after a while. I’ve been facing this problem for a while and I read online that things in your clipboard disappear after 20mins. Is there a way to extend this period of time? If not then will new versions of iOS extend the time limit?

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 4:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 3:47 PM

Hi, and welcome to the Apple Community.

We are all Apple users, like yourself, in this community, so have no way to change that holding period.

Seems the clipboard is mainly for immediate copy and paste tasks, leaving it free to use over and over for various tasks.

(For myself, I keep a "daily" text file on the desktop, and may save clipboard text / images there until needed.)

Looked into the new "Universal Clipboard" but seems it is the same story there.

Apple's article:

Use Universal Clipboard to copy and paste between your Apple devices - Apple Support

Says:

"It remains there briefly, or until you replace it by copying something else on either device." 

I could be wrong, but there don't seem to be any upcoming changes to the length of time clipboard holds text.

Apple welcomes feedback on its products and services.

If enough people send feedback on an issue, it may help effect change.

(Don't expect an answer though.)

Here's a link to the feedback webpage:

Product Feedback - Apple

All the best :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2022 3:47 PM in response to thisishct

Hi, and welcome to the Apple Community.

We are all Apple users, like yourself, in this community, so have no way to change that holding period.

Seems the clipboard is mainly for immediate copy and paste tasks, leaving it free to use over and over for various tasks.

(For myself, I keep a "daily" text file on the desktop, and may save clipboard text / images there until needed.)

Looked into the new "Universal Clipboard" but seems it is the same story there.

Apple's article:

Use Universal Clipboard to copy and paste between your Apple devices - Apple Support

Says:

"It remains there briefly, or until you replace it by copying something else on either device." 

I could be wrong, but there don't seem to be any upcoming changes to the length of time clipboard holds text.

Apple welcomes feedback on its products and services.

If enough people send feedback on an issue, it may help effect change.

(Don't expect an answer though.)

Here's a link to the feedback webpage:

Product Feedback - Apple

All the best :-)

Why does copied text disappear from my clipboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.