Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Utility Desk factory reset destroyed my SSD?

Wanted to pass my laptop to the family so i tried to do a factory reset..

• Formatted my 512GB SSD with APFS.
  • Error message: Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install.
  • Restarted my MacBook and my SSD doesn't show up anymore, i tried the diskutil list method in terminal but no success there either.

I think i tried everything i could but it got to the point that the recovery mode won't even load anymore..

Please help, thank you.

Macbook Pro 2015 13"

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 5:27 PM

What version of macOS was booted when you booted into Recovery Mode? If it was an older version of macOS such as 10.10, then the older version of macOS will not recognize the newer partition layout and file system used by macOS 10.13+. This means you need to partition & format the physical SSD using the instructions in this article for macOS 10.10:

https://www.owcdigital.com/assets/support/support-formatting-and-migration/Mac_Formatting_6-10.pdf

If the laptop contains a third party NVMe SSD, then you will need to boot a macOS 10.13+ installer since older versions of macOS are unable to recognize an NVMe SSD.

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to see if the laptop will boot into the macOS 12.x Monterey installer. Unfortunately sometimes Internet Recovery Mode will only boot to the installer for the original OS which shipped with the laptop from the factory.

You can also create a bootable macOS USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2022 5:27 PM in response to Kaszino

What version of macOS was booted when you booted into Recovery Mode? If it was an older version of macOS such as 10.10, then the older version of macOS will not recognize the newer partition layout and file system used by macOS 10.13+. This means you need to partition & format the physical SSD using the instructions in this article for macOS 10.10:

https://www.owcdigital.com/assets/support/support-formatting-and-migration/Mac_Formatting_6-10.pdf

If the laptop contains a third party NVMe SSD, then you will need to boot a macOS 10.13+ installer since older versions of macOS are unable to recognize an NVMe SSD.

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to see if the laptop will boot into the macOS 12.x Monterey installer. Unfortunately sometimes Internet Recovery Mode will only boot to the installer for the original OS which shipped with the laptop from the factory.

You can also create a bootable macOS USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Feb 23, 2022 6:42 PM in response to Kaszino

The large negative error codes indicate some type of network issue. You can try a PRAM Reset (hold it for at least two chimes) in case the Mac is stuck booting to an incorrect location (sometimes will happen). You can also try power cycling your router making sure to wait at least five minutes for the router to finish booting. The best option is to connect the laptop directly to the router using an Ethernet cable for a faster more reliable connection plus it bypasses any hard to troubleshoot WiFi issues. If the laptop does not have an Ethernet port, then you can use a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

Otherwise you will likely need to use a bootable macOS USB installer since the issue could be with the configuration settings of your router, your ISP, or your local Internet.

Feb 22, 2022 12:32 AM in response to HWTech

Thank you for the response, I formatted on Catalina 10.15.7 but when i restarted it dropped back to whatever Sierra since the install didn't go trough and all was lost. Will try to install a newer OS, can't reach recovery mode anymore it just shows and error message: -5101F which i couldn't find the meaning to.

Utility Desk factory reset destroyed my SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.