Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupted internal MBP SSD won't erase Unable to write to last block of the device

I believe I corrupted my internal SSD hard drive last night when I used up all it’s free space. I have a 2015 MBP with Mojave.

I’ve been since trying to erase the drive but to no avail. It tells me it’s unable to write to the last block of the device/couldn’t unmounted disk (shows me different messages different times, not sure what I did to change it)

I’ve been reading threads all day and this seems like it might be the same problem (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251194289) but it seems like APFS is not an option:

What can I try to erase the drive so I can install a clean copy of the OS?

Thank you!!! This has been extremely stressful for me.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 6:49 AM

How to Create a Bootable USB Installer. Once created, shutdown computer and disconnect all external drives except the newly created installer. Connect to charger and startup computer and immediately hold Option key. This should present to Boot Manager and choose Install Mojave USB drive. Once it loads, choose Disk Utilities >> View >> View All attached devices. Look for upper most drive usually called Apple SSD. This is the drive one want to Partition as Single Partition. Format it as APFS and Scheme: GUID Partition Map. If it is successful - back out of Disk Utilities and choose Install macOS.

Notation: Just noticed in screen shot lower right S.M.A.R.T Status: Not Supported - could mean drive is failed or failing but would get second opinion on that.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2021 6:49 AM in response to wild-blue-yonder

How to Create a Bootable USB Installer. Once created, shutdown computer and disconnect all external drives except the newly created installer. Connect to charger and startup computer and immediately hold Option key. This should present to Boot Manager and choose Install Mojave USB drive. Once it loads, choose Disk Utilities >> View >> View All attached devices. Look for upper most drive usually called Apple SSD. This is the drive one want to Partition as Single Partition. Format it as APFS and Scheme: GUID Partition Map. If it is successful - back out of Disk Utilities and choose Install macOS.

Notation: Just noticed in screen shot lower right S.M.A.R.T Status: Not Supported - could mean drive is failed or failing but would get second opinion on that.

Feb 11, 2021 2:17 PM in response to wild-blue-yonder

I think you have posted about this problem (fails writing to the last block) in two other posts here,

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252436378

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252435975

but each of your separate posts does not explain fully other background info that are in your other posts. This may result in different suggestions, which may be what you are looking for ... but ...

... as R. Phillips noted, your drive may be failing. This has also been suggested in your other separate posts about the same problem. based on symptoms that you described.

If you can create a standalone USB bootable drive, from that external bootable drive with Disk Utility you might be able to select the option to complete the reformat process of writing zeros across the entire drive, which could take 24 hours or more. This might succeed in bringing your drive back into usable condition if it is indeed retrievable.

Feb 11, 2021 4:41 PM in response to PRP_53

Thank you both! Yea my prognosis of the problem went from trying to salvage my OS > trying to recover data before erasing the disk > not being able to erase the disk, and since I don’t have my computer I haven’t found a way to delete my old posts. Thank you so much for the help.

I’m having a friend help me out tomorrow, how does this plan seem? Should I switch the orders of 1-3?

1. get a bootable USB installer, try to see if its disk utility could do what the internal Recovery couldn’t.
  2. If the above fails, get a USB booter of Parted Magic and see if it fixes it
  3. if the above fails, overwrite the drive with 0’s via terminal
  4. if any of the steps successfully erases the computer, install the new OS again, and then run diagnostics to see if my SSD is still healthy (do you guys have any recommendations on what tests to run?)

Thanks again, you guys have been really helpful in this stressful time.

Feb 11, 2021 5:00 PM in response to wild-blue-yonder

wild-blue-yonder wrote:

1. Thank you both! Yea my prognosis of the problem went from trying to salvage my OS > trying to recover data before erasing the disk > not being able to erase the disk, and since I don’t have my computer I haven’t found a way to delete my old posts. Thank you so much for the help.

I’m having a friend help me out tomorrow, how does this plan seem? Should I switch the orders of 1-3?

get a bootable USB installer, try to see if its disk utility could do what the internal Recovery couldn’t.
2. If the above fails, get a USB booter of Parted Magic and see if it fixes it
3. if the above fails, overwrite the drive with 0’s via terminal
4. if any of the steps successfully erases the computer, install the new OS again, and then run diagnostics to see if my SSD is still healthy (do you guys have any recommendations on what tests to run?)

Thanks again, you guys have been really helpful in this stressful time.

For drive diagnostics (physical drive health), I think DriveDX is the one I would use.

You could reverse the order of 2 or 3 in your plan. Parted Magic requires following a specific and somewhat involved procedure that was outlined in great detail by HWTech in an earlier post you had referred to.

Good luck with all of this. I fear that the drive is failed or failing but you may be able to rescue it.

Corrupted internal MBP SSD won't erase Unable to write to last block of the device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.